• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stephen A. Camp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Texas
    Hello. For roughly 4 decades now, my autoloader of choice has been a single-action such as the Browning Hi Power or 1911. In the '80's I coughed up the then high tariff for a CZ-75 since it appeared interesting, had gained the blessing of Col. Cooper and allowed for Condition One Carry (cocked-and-locked) if desired.
    During roughly this same time-frame, I became a police firearm instructor, which necessitated my being very familiar and competent with other than single-action autoloaders or double-action revolvers.
    So, I began rigorously working to improve my skills with SIG-Sauers' P220 and P226 DA/SA pistols as they were very well-represented within the law enforcement community as well as Glock's line of handguns. I found that at least with some of the DA/SA automatics, the transition from DA to SA just was not the "monster" described by some scribes, which prompted me to try other than single-action automatics; with the money spent over the years, I'm not sure if that was a blessing or a curse...
    The most recent of this seemingly never-ending line of pistols to shoot is the 9mm PX Storm from Beretta. Mine is the "Type F", IE: conventional DA/SA with the slide-mounted thumb safety. The pistol is locked breech, but uses a rotating barrel system to accomplish this. It seems to work well at least in my initial range session. The gun functioned flawlessly with the 435 rounds fired.
    BerettaPX4andGlock17001.jpg

Here is a picture of it next to the very common Glock 17. Hopefully, this gives folks at least an approximate idea of its size.
    036.jpg

I tried this pistol with a six different loads. From left to right:
    DAG 124-gr. FMJ, Winchester Ranger 127-gr. +P+, handload using Speer 124-gr. Gold Dot, a discontinued Corbon +P load using the Hornady 124-gr. XTP, Speer 147-gr. Gold Dot, and Remington 147-gr. Golden Saber. These all fed smoothly and flawlessly.

032.jpg

I fired no further than 15 yards in the initial range session. It was windy and the 25-yard pistol range was occupied. I fired this group while seated and with wrists braced on sandbags. I was trying to gauge the pistol's inherent mechanical accuracy...and was very pleasantly surprised.
    In short, I found the pistol to be extremely comfortable, 100% reliable...at least so far, and surprisingly accurate.
    If interested in a considerably more detailed review, look here:
    Shooting the Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm

Best.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    We have been graced with greatness...

Thank you for stopping by INGO, Mr. Camp, and posting.

I appreciate it!

-J-

Stephen A. Camp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Texas
    Hello and thanks for the kind words...but "greatness" only applies to my appetite ... and my neverending cravings for a cigar, even though I quit them a couple of years back!

Best to you and yours.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Thanks for the write up. The wife has the PX4 Storm in the subcompact and loves it. She must be over 500 rounds now and never a functioning problem ever.

Sanguine Samurai

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Indiana
    :welcome:from a fellow newbie!
    Beretta Px4 Storm :rockwoot:I wouldn't give my full size .40 or my subcompact 9mm (both "F" models) up for the world (although the SC model employs a tilt barrel locking system as apposed to the rotary method). I have found my full size Storm to be deadly accurate as well even though mine is a 40 S&W. So far it too has been 100% reliable. My subcompact is a little less accurate (for obvious reasons i.e. shorter barrel, shorter sighting radius) It had a fail-to-feed on the second magazine I ran through it, but I blame myself for cramming the rounds in the mag in a hurry because that day I was at the range before work and was a little pressed for time. No problems since then though.

The PX4 Storm Line's predecessor is the Beretta cougar 8000, which also implemented a rotary breech locking system. Beretta is also releasing a Compact model to fill the gap in the PX4 family. It too will have this locking system.

Last edited:

Stephen A. Camp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Texas
    Hello and thanks for the information. Beretta handguns have worked well on the police firing lines I've been on but I've never owned that many of them so I appreciate hearing from folks more knowledgeable on them than myself.

Best and thanks again.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Thank you for joining our group, Mr. Camp!!!!

And :welcome:

I am a known and open Beretta nut. I bought a G model PX4 a while back, and at it's first range visit made the mistake of letting my daughter play with it before I got a chance to really enjoy it. Next thing I hear is her complaining we are out of ammo! SHE RAN 500 ROUNDS THROUGH IT!!!!! We both have come to really appreciate how well Beretta makes their pistols.

Thanks for the write-up, and what ammo you used. Been wondering about how different ammos react in that little beast.

Bluedragon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Nice review Mr Camp. I am a big fan of your website, especially when it pertains to Browning Hi Powers, they along with Beretta are some of my favorite gun designs. :D

bman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    the stoeger cougar is supposedly the same as the original beretta. same rotating barrel as the px4. cost is less.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    PX4 9mm

I have a PX4 in 9mm and feel this is the best feeling and best shooting pistol I own. Took a long time to get used to how it looked, but after I got one and shot it, had to ask myself why it took so long to find this sweet pistol. Just wish there were more accessories for them. Love the 20 round magazines that stick out a little bit.

BIG TIM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fountaintown
    Welcome Mr Camp! I recently traded for a Beretta Cougar which is very similar in size and function to the PX4. I found mine to be very accurate and dependable and the fit and finish are excellent.

Top Bottom