"Shooting Sports" Friendly Summer Camps? LOCAL?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Although I don't have kids, I was talking to a friend who does and the topic of summer camps came up. Seems it's hard to find a summer camp that offers basic riflery anymore..

I recommended Camp Tecumseh, right up the road from me - I know they have riflery, archery, even BB ranges for the youngins..

I know there are NRA Summer Camps and things, but I'm interested in finding other camps that do this sort of thing that are local, either here in Indiana or very close to the state..

Ideas? Suggestions? And if anybody has kids coming to Camp T this summer, let me know - we'll meet up for lunch or something!!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Springhill Camps is a Christian-run camp for kids that is awesome. They have one down in Seymour that my daughter went to last year. I highly recommend checking them out. While they aren't "shooting sports", as such, they do have a small basic riflery program. She spent an afternoon shooting .22, but they may have a program that is more involved than the one she was in.

If the religious aspect is unappealing to you, I can tell you that it seems to be minimal, from what I can tell. In other words, the kids aren't spending three hours per day in bible classes.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    Springhill Camps is a Christian-run camp for kids that is awesome. They have one down in Seymour that my daughter went to last year. I highly recommend checking them out. While they aren't "shooting sports", as such, they do have a small basic riflery program. She spent an afternoon shooting .22, but they may have a program that is more involved than the one she was in.

If the religious aspect is unappealing to you, I can tell you that it seems to be minimal, from what I can tell. In other words, the kids aren't spending three hours per day in bible classes.

The springhill camps are great! While I have known several people who have enjoyed weeks there.

Several years ago, I went on a mission trip to InPursuit (one of their camps) to help build cabins and such. Great area.

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    I worked at Ransburg Scout Reservation for seven summers, worked there all year round for two years, and am still active as hell there.

We offer Rifle Shooting, Shotgun Shooting, and Archery Merit badges, and when we have Venture crews come, if they are interested we can fulfill the pistol or black powder portion of their Ranger Award.

The Cub Scout and Webelos camps all have BB ranges as well.

2590c.gif
    2620c.gif
    2135c.gif

ARGarrison

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Indiana, of course
    There is Indiana Conservation Officers Organization Youth Camp (Camp Kelly). It's currently run out of the old Purdue university Ross Camp grounds, in June. It's only for a certian age group camper, don't remember the age groups. Runs a week and has one day set side for live fire, .22LR rifle and pistol, muzzleloader, shotgun and achery.:D

ICOO.com

The Boy Scouts had a Camp Bufflao up near Buffalo, Indiana. Looks like they only have Archery.

Welcome to Camp Buffalo!

There is also Camp Mollenhour up in Kosciusko County. It's similar to ICOO youth Camp, but has one week for boys and one week for girls. They too have a live fire day each week.

Home

Rey B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    It's by no means cheap but I teach at Culver Military Academy summer camp. I am the Nature Director for Woodcraft (9-13 yrs) We have just about every activity you can think of including pellet rifle and archery. It is a 6 week long resident camp and an amazing opportunity for the kids. Check out the website for more information.
    Culver - Culver Summer Schools & Camps - CSSC

jmb79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Wyoming
    The Karl Kelly Youth Camp, run by the Indiana Conservation Officer's Organization may be exactly what you are looking for. Applications are still being taken and applications and additional details can be found here: ICOO.com

Edited to add: just noticed that ARGarrison beat me to the punch by four days. Sorry for the duplicate post.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

Necroposting with some new information. We took our daughter down to Springhill for her third consecutive year over the weekend. This year, they've added trap shooting as a new program in addition to the basic riflery program. :rockwoot:

Top Bottom