• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I've finally come to realize that not building my own range is STUPID. Why I haven't built one yet I have no idea but here we go. My main question is about a shooting bench. I've got a bunch of scaffold planks laying around that I will use for the top and the seat. Thinking treated 4x4 or 6x6 for corner posts. Would like to keep the seat integrated into the bench.

The way it will be set up ill be shooting down hill basically into a little valley. I've got plenty of fill around as well as equipment. The size of the burm won't be a problem I'm thinking 10-12' wide and maybe 8 ft to the top?

As far as target holders I'm open to suggestions.

So let's have the tips guys. If this was you what would you do? Bench plans? Target holders? Burn size? Anything I'm forgetting?

superstorm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 19, 2009
    SW Fort Wayne
    I going to build one this summer to many houses around me now everybody wants to live in the country. I have 10 acres I'm 1500 feet deep I'm going to build it 10' high 20' wide with 4x12 back pitch so I can still mow it. I'm going to use a clothes line style post with pulleys on bench end an a pulley attached to my RR ties on the target end and use nylon string to run the targets back and forward with a cordless drill. This works pretty good We built one for a friend.

in_betts

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    North of FW
    Just my $.02 but 10-12' wide is pretty narrow unless you are primarily using one target. It of course would depend on what you plan to shoot, but if you want to do any multiple target scenarios I would think going about 20-30' wide would be much better.

Top Bottom