• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    im building a new range. i still have some trees to clear but its going to be a 300yd year round range. for longer ranges ill still have to shoot between harvest and planting. im just tired of putting up and takingdown my 300 and in ranges and shooting up a fence line in the summer.

so here is what i have so far. im building a 8x8 deck in the woods. im not setting the posts in dirt im just usind those post bases for decks. im putting eyelets in the corners so i can move the deck with the tractor if i ever want to and shoot from a diffrent area. all i will have to do is buy few new 4x4s to relevel the deck. im putting a adjustable bar on the front of the deck and cutting the head of a tripod off and permantally mounting it to the bar. the bar will be roughly 10' long to mount my chrono so i dont have to deal with wind blowing my chrono over. i may set a post and mount the tripod head to it. i havent decided yet. i think a portable deck that will be level to shoot off will be a big help.

im also building a 4x4 side area on it so i can use my leadslead from a seated position, and shoot prone from the 8x8 area. i figure 8x8 and i can get 2-3 shooters and spotters at one time.

ill set targets in 50yd intervals up to 300yds.

does ingo have any good ideas to add. i probably wont start to build it for a month or so.

this will be the future rimfire comp site. i had to cut trees in the rain last time and am not going to have that problem again

Last edited:

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    im also building a 4x4 side area on it so i can use my leadslead from a seated position, and shoot prone from the 8x8 area. i figure 8x8 and i can get 2-3 shooters and spotters at one time.

I would make this a little bit larger, just to make sure you don't step off of it wrong, trip, or feel limited or claustrophobic with all of your stuff on a small platform. I know its a seated area, but do it right the first time. If you are making a permanent bench for your lead sled... make it ambidextrous. ;)

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

thought about that but dont want to put to much money in it. also i think a roof would make it a pain to move. eventually i want to put it a diffrent spot that will allow 400 yd shooting any time of the year but i have to wait until our farm is logged wich is still a couple years off. to use that spot now id have to cut down 5-6 money trees. the spot i have picked out now i have to fell a couple sycomores and some hedge, but nothing valuable

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    thought about that but dont want to put to much money in it. also i think a roof would make it a pain to move. eventually i want to put it a diffrent spot that will allow 400 yd shooting any time of the year but i have to wait until our farm is logged wich is still a couple years off. to use that spot now id have to cut down 5-6 money trees. the spot i have picked out now i have to fell a couple sycomores and some hedge, but nothing valuable

You could always build it a size that would allow the use of a collapsible canopy:dunno:

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    build it on a haywagon chassis. You could use a lowering kit to bring it to the ground, then it would be easy to move about.

Astrocreep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indy
    I take it this thing will NOT be elevated...

Make sure the ground is solid underneath. If you're not going to mount the posts in the dirt, you will have a hard time keeping the thing level.

Use decking screws not nails... on smaller projects they're nice. Also, they won't work their way loose and skewer you in the chest while lying prone.

8x8 will be crowded for 3 people and all the stuff you want handy.
    However, you probably won't need a tractor to lift/move a 8x8 deck.

*If you need advice on how to make the thing sturdy, shoot me a PM.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i think im going to drive some fence posts in the ground deep and tie it in place. that way when its time to move i just untie and go.

it will be elevated but only 2-3'.

i want to make it as easy as possible to move so i mise well set it up to ba able to move it with the tractor.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Lay out tape on a floor 8' by 8' and see if you like the size. I really think you'll find it too small.

I don't think a roof would be expensive if you wanted it. Especially if you can wait around for some scrap metal. Scrap siding/roofing is on about every farm i know of so i'm sure you could find it. I can see it being a pain to move, but that's 3+ years away and the amount of work/money won't matter in the long run compared to cool, dry shooting and a deck/floor that will last longer.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Lay out tape on a floor 8' by 8' and see if you like the size. I really think you'll find it too small.

I don't think a roof would be expensive if you wanted it. Especially if you can wait around for some scrap metal. Scrap siding/roofing is on about every farm i know of so i'm sure you could find it. I can see it being a pain to move, but that's 3+ years away and the amount of work/money won't matter in the long run compared to cool, dry shooting and a deck/floor that will last longer.

i think im going with zborneacsvt's idea with the canopy. light and portable. 99% of the time i do my shooting by myself. every month or 2 indygunworks comes down shooting, but besides that (or rimfire comps) im on my own. mabye ill go with bigger. i guess it cant be to big unless it get to big for the tractor to pick up but i dont see that hapening.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    Perhaps a small concrete footing for each corner. Then if you could mount trailer jacks to the corners of the deck you could level it fast and easy. If you temporarily move it to a new location for short time concrete blocks could be used for a base.

Think about cutting a small door in the floor with a rectangular slit that you can sweep brass into and then just lift the bucket out.

Just thought or two. Good-luck.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I think you are best served with the canopy/tarp roof. If you use aluminum or some other metal there's going to be a lot of echo. The conservation club I go to covered their clay shooting tower with aluminum and its a lot louder than an open stand. Cant wait to see pics and or some drawn up plans.

Astrocreep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indy
    If it's going to be elevated and you will be sitting/lying on it with guns, you should consider making it permanent...

Grab a post hole digger and sink some 12" cardboard tubes in the corners.
    Level/Plumb the 4x4 corner posts (which could support a canopy/roof if you want).
    A couple sacks of Quickcrete per post and you're all set.

You could conceivably create a platform that would be removable, but a simple sturdy deck would stay level and safe.

You could pour a concrete pad and bring your portable deck out to stand on it...

I can't recommend building an elevated deck that will be placed on soft earth without proper support for the corner posts.
    It's unsafe, and probably some kind of building code violation. YMMV

patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Post some pics when you "get-r-done" and what your likes and dislikes are. I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I have about 350 yard open field to shoot in. Right now I'm just using an old picnic table.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Right now I'm just using an old picnic table.

thats what i use now. i have to lay on the table so i can shoot prone because if i lay on the ground i cant see the target. thats why im moving the whole setup.

im hoping to have time to work on this in the next few weeks. ill get pics and what i did and what i would change

Top Bottom