• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cgraydotcom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2014
    Warsaw
    What kind of bench set up do you take to the range when there's no feasible bench there? I belong to a private club, and there's not much there as far as benches. There's a 200 yard range with a fixed backstop, so anything 25-200 yards is established by where you park along the firing line. Having a portable bench is the best option.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    We went to Menards (or Lowes, I can't remember) and bought folding table legs ( for the long tables). Figured out the shape we wanted for the top,I can't remember if we used 1/2" or 5/8" for the top. Put a 1/2" x 1/2" lip around the outside to keep the brass from rolling off, and added a pad for where your elbow will sit.
    Works great and easily portable. A folding camp type chair, the kind that open into an X shape works great for ours.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    You could always shoot standing. Standing, sitting, kneeling and prone are the 4 positions every skilled marksman needs to master. Creedmore position is pretty helpfull in Metallic Silhouette matches.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I bought one of these things a few years ago while visiting some friends in Springfield, Illinois. Muddy Outdoors Swivel Shooting Bench | Scheels

It's not stable enough for proper benchrest shooting, but it's good enough stability for my informal shooting. And it's very easily portable. It's held up well, but I'm pretty gentle with it.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    What kind of bench set up do you take to the range when there's no feasible bench there? I belong to a private club, and there's not much there as far as benches. There's a 200 yard range with a fixed backstop, so anything 25-200 yards is established by where you park along the firing line. Having a portable bench is the best option.

W.R. & P. C. ?

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    The club I belong to had a few of its members build some. Both left and right handed.
    Perhaps appoach your club officers and see about getting it done.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest

I probably signed/sent your membership card unless you just joined and RO doing your safety shoots gave you your card.

Several club members have various ones they have made. Maybe you will see one sometime. Guy that just moved out of state made a pretty nice one that was pretty slick but took it with him. Sometimes wish I had one but don't shoot enough rifle to mess with making something.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    You could always shoot standing. Standing, sitting, kneeling and prone are the 4 positions every skilled marksman needs to master. Creedmore position is pretty helpfull in Metallic Silhouette matches.

There is great wisdom here. A rifle zero'd on a bench, will likely not be zero'd from an actual field position.

cgraydotcom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2014
    Warsaw
    I probably signed/sent your membership card unless you just joined and RO doing your safety shoots gave you your card.

Several club members have various ones they have made. Maybe you will see one sometime. Guy that just moved out of state made a pretty nice one that was pretty slick but took it with him. Sometimes wish I had one but don't shoot enough rifle to mess with making something.

I have seen a couple that guys have taken out there. One had nice folding legs. Looks like he had a cabinet shop at home with the quality of it. Ive also seen the fold up $100 versions online. I went out last week to try a $30 plastic folding table, but the place was full.

Top Bottom