• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I'm going to predict that there was a woman in that dance class (or supposed to be) that he knew and was the intended target for whatever reason (spurned love, etc.).

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I'm going to predict that there was a woman in that dance class (or supposed to be) that he knew and was the intended target for whatever reason (spurned love, etc.).

That was my guess, too. This shooting, from the report I read, consisted of the criminal firing something like 52 rounds in ten seconds, from two handguns. Going to your locker to get your Glock (or whatever) would not have been feasible-someone would have to have had a firearm on hand, in the area, to have made any difference at all, and lest that come across as giving the wrong impression, I don't think doing so would be out of the question, whether in a gym bag at his/her feet or even a Kel Tec/Kahr in a sock.

Once again, a violent crime is committed where the criminal knew few if any of the intended victims would be armed... but that part is glossed over by the media so that we can again be treated to the telling of how awful those horrible guns are-as if the gun did it by itself.

Blessings,
    Bill

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    This is the one place that i don't carry, just because i dont have a good way as of now. The only way i can think of is a belly band, but i think i would print like crazy lifting.

DemolitionMan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Avon, IN
    I with Tommy2Tone, the gym makes me nervous because I can't feasibly carry. I kicked around the idea of using my fanny-pack rig but it would be too obvious and would get in the way on too many exercises. It's bothered me for a while so this shooting really caught my attention.

I'm not sure if this particular shooter was interested in the gym because people wouldn't be carrying though. From what I've read this morning he was off his rocker in a major way. He chose the class because his ex-wife would be there. He was also a member of the gym and therefore had easy access. His ex-wife was shot but survived.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    A SmartCarry for a smaller gun might work in a situation like a gym. No first hand experience, though. I've stuck a KelTec P3At with pocket holster in my pocket-it's a pretty deep pocket, and it was ok for stuff like the elliptical machine. Wouldn't want to do a lot exercises lying down, though.

Scary stuff.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Yahoo News update.

Pa. health club shooting gunman a 48-year-old man - Yahoo! News

Yes his ex-something was at the class and he posted on his website/blog that he was going to kill her and thus he knew where she was going to be. He got to the gym (he is a member), went to the class, opened his bag, pulled out two guns and turned OFF the lights of the class and began to fire!

Not sure anyone could have done anything to stop him. Even if you had your gun in your bag on the wall in the class it would have been impossible to get to it before the guy killed himself. The pre-lim report says it was over in under 2 mins.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I'm not sure if this particular shooter was interested in the gym because people wouldn't be carrying though. From what I've read this morning he was off his rocker in a major way. He chose the class because his ex-wife would be there. He was also a member of the gym and therefore had easy access. His ex-wife was shot but survived.

He chose the gym because she would be there, yes... but why did he choose the gym as opposed to somewhere else she might be? Since he was also a member there, he knew the place, but let's turn it around a little bit: If it was common for people to be armed while there, do you think it likely he would have gone there to shoot her or perhaps chosen a different place? Yes, he was off his rocker, but that doesn't mean he can't recognize a safer place (for him, anyway) to commit his crime.

Blessings,
    Bill

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I just leave my gun laying out somewhere nearby while I work out.

Oh, it might help to mention that my gym is in my basement.

SouthBendIN

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    South Bend
    what about a thigh holster?

say you wear some black looser fitting basketball shorts ( the kind that stop right at the middle of the knee).

if you move the holster around so the gun is positioned not right in front of you but more in between your legs (and pointing down!). You can easily pull one side of those shorts up all the way to your crotch and expose your entire thigh, allowing you to unstrap the pistol easily if you have the right holster.

Last edited:

Ness2k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    China ^_^
    I carry my P3AT in my waist band, unless I'm doing squats. Then I take it out and lay it on the squat rack until my sets are completed. Never had a complaint yet, and I workout at a "Cardinal Fitness" chain.

I am not going to let my guard down and leave myself unarmed while I'm at the friggin gym.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i need to figure out a new course of action besides stowing my piece in a locker. i have the taurus 709 slim in an uncle mike's IWB holster that i typically stuff into my pants pocket, but i dont know how to conceal it so that it wouldnt fall out when using the machines or riding the bike

lewisjt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.1%
    113   1   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Hancock Co.
    I carry a bag in the gym while working out that holds straps, belt, chalk, water, logbook, etc...perfect place for weapon; always close by but not going to be in the way of your workout.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Realistically, I look at it in this way: The gym is FULL of weapons or potential weapons. A 10 lb dumbbell slammed into a back, head or anywhere would hurt. I am happy that my gym has plates with handles. A 25lber should take care of the situation, no need to use the 45 lber unless for a coup de grace (too heavy to bring to action quick enough).

All in all, this guy was a loser. I admit that I have issues with women: Do the best I can and get no where. BUT, the EPIC difference twixt me and this madman is my choice of outlet. Shooting up the joint aint the way of doing it. See a darn psych. Go out with friends and get "hooked up", etc... If it was not a gym, it would have been somewhere else, this bozo was going to shoot someone anyways.

I love how the article says the guns were purchased legally. Most if not all of the mass murderers get theirs, despite delays or waiting periods. If they put that much time into planning such an event, they will wait any amount of time to get the (in my mind) most cowardly way to solve their problems in life. Guns are for protection, not for a solution to an, erm, ego issue.

Top Bottom