• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Well I'm considering building a shooting shack. Where I will be building my house, I should be able to get up to a 400 yard shot pretty easily. I'm thinking of building a 6 foot wide by 8 foot deep by 6 foot tall. Basically just a light weight storage shed and insulate it very well to cut down on outside noise. Probably put small windows on the side and a little bigger one on the range end of it. That way it can double as a deer blind if I'm not hunting from an upstairs bedroom window. My house will be in an 18 acre woods.

I'm thinking about putting some tubes on the bottom so I can use the pallet forks on my tractor to move it around. I will probably make my backstop out of railroad ties and dirt. This way I can move the shack to whatever yardage I want to shoot at. The nicest thing about the shack will be brass pickup.:D Any other suggestions?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Line the walls on the inside with accoustic foam eggcrate to lessen the noise inside when you're shooting. It's cheap and effective.

e6y9ht.jpg

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Grant County
    If I'm not mistaken, most structure wood for home building is based around the 8ft 2X4 including plywood. So, why just 6 ft. tall? Wouldn't the cost for material be around the same for an 8X8X8 shack versus what you propose? I.E. more head room, would allow another person to sit in there, and more room for standing offhand shots.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    If I'm not mistaken, most structure wood for home building is based around the 8ft 2X4 including plywood. So, why just 6 ft. tall? Wouldn't the cost for material be around the same for an 8X8X8 shack versus what you propose? I.E. more head room, would allow another person to sit in there, and more room for standing offhand shots.

I'm more concerned about weight so I can move it around with the pallet forks on my tractor.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Possibly slant the floor a few degrees off of smooth/level to funnel your brass to one place. Maybe even put various sizes of grating in at your collection point to separate your brass to different sizes for reloading.

Just a thought.

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom