• ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

Shooter gets 53 years for robbery, killing teller's unborn twins

UPDATED 11:50 a.m.

Marion Superior Court Judge Kurt Eisgruber handed down a 53-year prison sentence a few minutes ago for Brian Kendrick. Kendrick, 31, was convicted by a jury late last month after a five-day trial. Prosecutors said he robbed a Huntington National Bank branch on Indianapolis' Far Eastside in April 2008, jumping over teller Katherin Shuffield's counter and shooting into her abdomen. She was about five months pregnant. Shuffield survived, but her unborn twin girls did not.

Kendrick faced a maximum of 87 years in prison for attempted murder, robbery, two counts of feticide and a handgun possession charge, but the judge noted that a couple of misdemeanor convictions in Kendrick's criminal history were insufficient to merit maximum penalties. Here's how the sentence breaks down: 30 years for attempted murder, 14 years for robbery, four years each for the feticide counts and one year for the handgun violation.

Shuffield read from prepared remarks on the witness stand, her voice calm as she spoke about the deep-reaching effects of the shooting. She and her husband, Jason, had been excited about the twin girls' coming births. Her voice began to crack when she spoke about what it might be like to be raising 1-year-olds now. "We will never hear them laugh," Shuffield said, "or speak their first words or take their first steps."

Kendrick's mother, Dolma Kendrick, embraced Jason Shuffield in the gallery after the sentencing concluded. She had asked the judge to show mercy on her son, noting his rough childhood. She had spent much of it in prison, and so had Kendrick's father, leaving him to be raised for long stretches by an abusive grandmother.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN

Marion Superior Court Judge Kurt Eisgruber handed down a 53-year prison sentence a few minutes ago for Brian Kendrick. Kendrick, 31, was convicted by a jury late last month after a five-day trial. Prosecutors said he robbed a Huntington National Bank branch on Indianapolis' Far Eastside in April 2008, jumping over teller Katherin Shuffield's counter and shooting into her abdomen. She was about five months pregnant. Shuffield survived, but her unborn twin girls did not.

Kendrick faced a maximum of 87 years in prison for attempted murder, robbery, two counts of feticide and a handgun possession charge, but the judge noted that a couple of misdemeanor convictions in Kendrick's criminal history were insufficient to merit maximum penalties. Here's how the sentence breaks down: 30 years for attempted murder, 14 years for robbery, four years each for the feticide counts and one year for the handgun violation.

Shuffield read from prepared remarks on the witness stand, her voice calm as she spoke about the deep-reaching effects of the shooting. She and her husband, Jason, had been excited about the twin girls' coming births. Her voice began to crack when she spoke about what it might be like to be raising 1-year-olds now. "We will never hear them laugh," Shuffield said, "or speak their first words or take their first steps."

Kendrick's mother, Dolma Kendrick, embraced Jason Shuffield in the gallery after the sentencing concluded. She had asked the judge to show mercy on her son, noting his rough childhood. She had spent much of it in prison, and so had Kendrick's father, leaving him to be raised for long stretches by an abusive grandmother.

What's the point? He is STILL a burden to society? I think it's time for these penitentiaries to start producing something again... like processing sludge at a sewer plant... with their hands. :twocents:

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County

1. WTF? In my book, it is two counts of murder. Should have been the death penalty IMHO.

2. This gets to me everytime i hear it. :xmad: People make their OWN decisions, no matter the upbringing. I know a lot of people who had it hard growing up and went on to lead honest, productive lives. He knows right from wrong regardless, and should burn for what he did. Just my :twocents:.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    2. This gets to me everytime i hear it. :xmad: People make their OWN decisions, no matter the upbringing. I know a lot of people who had it hard growing up and went on to lead honest, productive lives. He knows right from wrong regardless, and should burn for what he did. Just my :twocents:.

The shooter was 31 years old. "He had a rough childhood" doesn't fly at that age. Take responsibility for your actions or get kicked off the planet.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Welcome to Marion Co, IN folks. The single best place in the country to commit a felony up to and including murder.

Let's see....

53 years of which he will do half, so 26.5 years
    Knock off another 10 for good behavior, so 16.5
    He'll probably get a GED while he's in which is probably good for another 5, so 11.5

Yup, we'll see him again. Sure glad we built a new 40 gazillion dollar stadium instead of a new jail/prison. I thought Market Square Arena would have made for a great Thunderdome. Toss them in by the bucket load and once a week toss in enough food to feed half of them for three days. Have live video feeds recording everything going on inside and sell the rights to watch via the internet.

Crime problems = gone
    Revenue problems = gone

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    I thought Market Square Arena would have made for a great Thunderdome. Toss them in by the bucket load and once a week toss in enough food to feed half of them for three days. Have live video feeds recording everything going on inside and sell the rights to watch via the internet.

Crime problems = gone
    Revenue problems = gone

That is quite possibly one of the most creative (and very disturbing) ideas I have heard in a long time! Evil Genious!

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Welcome to Marion Co, IN folks. The single best place in the country to commit a felony up to and including murder.

Let's see....

53 years of which he will do half, so 26.5 years
    Knock off another 10 for good behavior, so 16.5
    He'll probably get a GED while he's in which is probably good for another 5, so 11.5

Yup, we'll see him again. Sure glad we built a new 40 gazillion dollar stadium instead of a new jail/prison. I thought Market Square Arena would have made for a great Thunderdome. Toss them in by the bucket load and once a week toss in enough food to feed half of them for three days. Have live video feeds recording everything going on inside and sell the rights to watch via the internet.

Crime problems = gone
    Revenue problems = gone

Remember the 'Running Man' with the Govinator?

cascadewalker

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    So, 14 years for robbery, but only 8 years for killing 2 unborn children ? What's wrong with this picture ? Everything.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    That punishment is ridiculous! He had a troubled childhood??? Big %$#@ deal! I'm tired of the excuses given to justify crimes and I'm tired of the judicial system that listens to them. :xmad:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Steve44
    Top Bottom