• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA

When you teach personal protection for a living, people are often interested in the tools you carry, and for me it isn't any different. People always ask me what light, gun, or knife I carry. But a question I seldom get is what skills do I teach those closest to me.

By the time my son Frank was 7 years old, I had been a cop for over a decade, used a pistol and shotgun in a fatal shooting, shot a child molester with a 12 bean bag from about 15 yards away, been on the SWAT team for about 8 years, and had attended 3 firearms instructors schools. He had been shooting BB guns and 22 rifles for a few years, but the time had come to start teaching him how to use a pistol to save his life. Those who have attended classes have heard me say that in my opinion the firearms training I had received prior to my shooting was like driving on the highway in preparation for driving in the Indy 500. The more and more I read, the more and more I spoke to other officers in my agency and others involved in deadly force confrontations, the more I came to believe that training was not only taking advantage of how humans actually react under combat stress, but it was working against it. What follows is how I trained and continue to train my son, other family, friends, and students. What made my son different was that he didn't have any preconceived notions of how things were meant to be. Here were some considerations I had.

1) The reason behind me teaching him pistol craft was so that he could defend himself against someone trying to kill him.

2) Training had to be fast and fun.

3) Training had to continue in spite of ammo costs or not having a place to shoot live fire.

4) Training had to be integrated with the open hand combative, impact weapons, and edged weapon skills we were already working on.

The very first full size pistol I put in his hand was a Glock 17 airsoft. I put him about 7-10 yards from the flagpole in front of our house, which was about 3 inches in diameter. One of the first things I ever said to him was that it was a handgun and not a "handsgun", and that that most of his time should be spent shooting with one hand. The second thing was that he had his strong hand and his other strong hand, meaning I did not want him to have any distinction between which hand he was shooting with. I told him to focus on the pole and keep both eyes open, then I cut him loose, all you heard was ping, ping, ping, as he continued to fire, switching between hands. If you looked from the front, it would look like the shooter on the cell phone at the top of this article. People without an understanding of anatomy will make a joke about this being "gangster". Others will realize that is the natural position of the wrist when pointing and throwing a punch. The reason is that it is anatomically correct. All of your bones, muscles, ligaments, and tendons are locked into place. If you hold the pistol within the traditional position and then roll it into this natural position, you can actually feel it lock and unlock. The natural position also turns your arm into a shock absorber to control recoil.

Frank is now 14 and over the past 7 years we have continued working this drill with the airsoft and our house gun which is a CZ75B. The transition between the airsoft and live handgun was seamless. Any pistol you put in Frank's hand becomes part of his body, not a tool in his hand. He enjoys shooting neat little groups with rimfire handguns and rifles, but when it comes to centerfire pistols, this is how he continues to train as we add in things like moving targets and having him move. Lots and lots of airsoft pinging things like the flag pole and old cookie sheets. I have done the same to a lesser extent but with the same results with his Mother and 17 year old sister. Knowing that I have trained them in a way that will lend itself to working with the effects of combat stress, gives me peace of mind when I am not home. Something that a pretty paper target never did.

I realize that many who read this have spent a lot of time and money training and are very competent shooters because of it. My career has also allowed me to do the same. I am not throwing the baby out with the bathwater saying that live fire at targets or even competition is bad. What I am saying is that more than any other firearm, the handgun is most likely to be used for self-defense than long guns. We need to define what we are training for and then train accordingly. Everyone who may be in the position to use a handgun to defend themselves may not dedicate enough time to training, so the training they do must be dedicated to things that will prepare them for the realities of a real situation. For law enforcement, the Supreme Court has held that training must be recent, relevant, and realistic for their applications. We as armed citizens would be wise to hold out training to the same standard.

As an instructor, I always ask myself in reference to every skill set what I would teach someone if I only had an hour. After the basics of safe gun handling, this would be it, and that being the case I think it is important to spend a lot of time on it.

So, if you are new to handguns and your interest is in using them for personal protection, try this out. If you are an experienced shooter and carry a gun, consider giving this a chance as well.

HamYankee

Expert
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Jan 24, 2014
    Hendricks County
    I have no law enforcement experience and, honestly have never taken a defensive class yet, but I do think mastering my pistol is my top priority because it is what I will most likely have if in a dire situation.
    Good idea using air soft to help teach your son.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    OP, I agree. The best part if airsoft is the ability to do FoF training. Your mindset on how to clear your own house changes dramatically just by putting a buddy in there with an airsoft pistol.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    George, would you say your son is using the sights, point shooting, or a combo of both depending on distance etc.? I'm kind of interested what sort of method he's naturally developed.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    He shoots what I do and call shooting "silhouette of the gun" basically when the gun gets between you and the target pull the trigger. Out past 15 yards or so he and I both go to our sights, I figure at this distance I will probably have more time to do so. It is important to keep in mind that even shooting 'silhouette of the gun" may be physically impossible at distances closer than say 5-6 yards because there is not enough room to get the gun up between your eyes and the threat. The good thing is that fights tend to open up giving you more distance. Within this distance I use the MCS Drop Step that is a variation of point shooting. He does no work from the holster yet because he cannot legally carry a pistol outside the house.- George

Simple Ed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Kosciusko County
    I thank you, also, for sharing. Not only am I still being molded in technique, but I've got young'uns and really appreciate hearing how you approached this with your son.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Like my drill sergeant said "if you want to be better at push ups, do more push ups". When it comes to marksmanship we stick to the rifle and 22 pistol for the most part. But when it comes to the pistol it is all geared towards using it for self-defense. Another thing that has made him even better is that his grandfather (my Dad) is a very active skeet shooter and shoots about 100 birds a day when it is nice in the back yard. Frank has s 410 side by side and 20 ga U/A from my Dad that he shoots skeet with. This is an excellent tool to train for shooting moving targets with both eyes open, since the human eye tracks movement with both eyes anyway. The thing with kids is that to get them hooked on something you need to keep it fast and fun, guns for our family is a non event. By that I mean they are something that is talked about and used all the time is one way or another. Since my kids were little we have been shooting blow guns at each other with the stun darts. They learned to naturally use cover and movement and that not doing so correctly results in a pain penalty. Not to mention it is just a ton of fun. - George

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    IMG_20130406_183606.jpg Way back in the middle 80s, When I became interested in self defense handgunning, a lot of guys spoke of the "silhouette" type method. My wife and I shoot a lot at about 7 yards, milking that trigger, looking over the top of the pistol. This string went out FAST! I do not know of a better method of close in shooting...Thanks for posting something I believe in, but cannot articulate so well.
    Like my drill sergeant said "if you want to be better at push ups, do more push ups". When it comes to marksmanship we stick to the rifle and 22 pistol for the most part. But when it comes to the pistol it is all geared towards using it for self-defense. Another thing that has made him even better is that his grandfather (my Dad) is a very active skeet shooter and shoots about 100 birds a day when it is nice in the back yard. Frank has s 410 side by side and 20 ga U/A from my Dad that he shoots skeet with. This is an excellent tool to train for shooting moving targets with both eyes open, since the human eye tracks movement with both eyes anyway. The thing with kids is that to get them hooked on something you need to keep it fast and fun, guns for our family is a non event. By that I mean they are something that is talked about and used all the time is one way or another. Since my kids were little we have been shooting blow guns at each other with the stun darts. They learned to naturally use cover and movement and that not doing so correctly results in a pain penalty. Not to mention it is just a ton of fun. - George

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    He shoots what I do and call shooting "silhouette of the gun" basically when the gun gets between you and the target pull the trigger. Out past 15 yards or so he and I both go to our sights, I figure at this distance I will probably have more time to do so. It is important to keep in mind that even shooting 'silhouette of the gun" may be physically impossible at distances closer than say 5-6 yards because there is not enough room to get the gun up between your eyes and the threat. The good thing is that fights tend to open up giving you more distance. Within this distance I use the MCS Drop Step that is a variation of point shooting. He does no work from the holster yet because he cannot legally carry a pistol outside the house.- George

5-6 yards? 15-18 feet? Please Lord don't let somebody try to take out a bad guy near me when not bringing the gun up to their eye level at that distance. There is a word for that, it is called missing. I can totally understand using a Pekiti take off to bust off the X and get your gun up into your line of sight and use metal on meat to get some accurate hits on your attacker. Even one handed if need be, (Though most people will be far more accurate with two.) but from below the line of sight? No thanks.

My main problem with the run and gun method of gunfighting instuction, and I know a little bit about that, is how many of the proponents of such really de emphasize the need for accuracy. As private citizens we don't have the luxury of the military and police of missing with 80% of our shots, that just isn't going to fly. George, I am not saying you don't emphasize proper accuracy, but you are really going to have to be a superior shooter to get accurate hits with the gun below the line of sight at 5-6 yards. Especially if one or the other or both parties are moving. If I am going to be shooting from some sort of retention position it will be because I am within two arms length.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Edited because I am not here to argue, I am here to share information and encourage training. Like I said in the beginning, I have a lot of previous instructor level schooling and trained over 1200 troops before they went down range when I was a Combat Skills Instructor at Ft Dix NJ for the US Air Force Expeditionary Commands Air Adviser Course. Of the cadre I was one of three SWAT cops, everyone else was former SEAL, RECON, or SF, and this is what we taught them with the time we had. If you are reading this and it sounds interesting to you then give it a try, if not than that is OK too.- George

Last edited:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I didn't know we were argueing. To me it is just a discussion of material. Arguing is when it gets personal. ;)We both agree training is important, no one is going to agree on every detail of how to do it.

As to the soldier thing, that is all well and good, but the few SF I have had training with or talked to strongly eschew point shooting. (I definitely think it has its place.)

Last edited:

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    5-6 yards? 15-18 feet? Please Lord don't let somebody try to take out a bad guy near me when not bringing the gun up to their eye level at that distance. There is a word for that, it is called missing. I can totally understand using a Pekiti take off to bust off the X and get your gun up into your line of sight and use metal on meat to get some accurate hits on your attacker. Even one handed if need be, (Though most people will be far more accurate with two.) but from below the line of sight? No thanks.

My main problem with the run and gun method of gunfighting instuction, and I know a little bit about that, is how many of the proponents of such really de emphasize the need for accuracy. As private citizens we don't have the luxury of the military and police of missing with 80% of our shots, that just isn't going to fly. George, I am not saying you don't emphasize proper accuracy, but you are really going to have to be a superior shooter to get accurate hits with the gun below the line of sight at 5-6 yards. Especially if one or the other or both parties are moving. If I am going to be shooting from some sort of retention position it will be because I am within two arms length.

I understand what you are saying..and I do believe in getting a sight picture (or at least a , both eyes open/over the top of the weapon) picture if you have time. But at 5-6 yards..you can truly develop the ability to rarely miss center mass, without a sight picture. Yes..even if a target is moving. Yes..even with one hand. Unfortunately with the price of ammo, most of us do not get to burn the ammo that we did years ago.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I understand what you are saying..and I do believe in getting a sight picture (or at least a , both eyes open/over the top of the weapon) picture if you have time. But at 5-6 yards..you can truly develop the ability to rarely miss center mass, without a sight picture. Yes..even if a target is moving. Yes..even with one hand. Unfortunately with the price of ammo, most of us do not get to burn the ammo that we did years ago.

Agreed. That is exactly the type of stuff I taught for years with SI. I was merely speaking to the fact of not bringing the gun up into your line of sight.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011

:popcorn:

Edit: Aw, Mike's too fast.

Attachments

• tumblr_mjil2411aB1r4zr2vo2_r1_500.gif
      tumblr_mjil2411aB1r4zr2vo2_r1_500.gif
      859.8 KB · Views: 3

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    Ever notice the rounded grip frame on a single action revolver? That grip is designed to level out..below sight picture, with one hand. Modern pistols are not designed with that angle. We emphasize eye level, both hands, as we should. Any point and shoot type drill goes much better, with a GOOD trigger...

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    As soon as someone gets two hands on their gun it retards their movement and if anything they usually just go straight back and seldom take a hand off to defend against an open hand, edged weapon, or impact weapon attack. We use the off hand to navigate, feel for cover, balance, grab a loved one, or as in the pic, call for help. If anything I see people rushing to get two hands on the gun even at contact distance. I think many times we are way to generous with what use for shooting distances.

It would be nice to train everyone to have the best of both worlds, but the truth is we all have parents, children, and friends that we want to see protected who do not have the interest, time, or money to train regularly. Hell, this is the case with the majority of police and many armed citizens. What I am saying is that if their mindset is correct, shooting naturally would be my goto to train those folks. It provides an excellent foundation that can be built upon if they wish, and serve them well in real life.

- George

Top Bottom