• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gmviso

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Well in case I bore anyone I want to apologize up front.

As a newb I went to my first gun show this afternoon, in Shipshewana. Was not exactly sure what to expect, but as a computer geek my only other experience has been with computer shows.

For those of you who may not know, at computer shows, there were primarily a bunch a small businesses who would bring loads of new components for building computers. In the early days, this was about the only way you could both select and touch the components you were going to build a PC from and get them at pretty good prices. So, I was kind of expecting a lot of dealers at the gun show with great prices on new firearms.

However this was not what I experienced.

Don't get me wrong, despite this the show was worthwhile for my first time. It was just not what I was expecting.

What I saw was a myriad of what appeared to be private collectors displaying a BUNCH of old firearms that I am sure I would not have found anywhere else. And if I was looking for something like this I would have probably found it there.

I did not count, but there could not have been more than a dozen dealers there, probably less. And, as near as I could tell there were not a lot of deals to be had with the exception of one dealer who seemed to have new firearms priced well below normal store front prices.

Well that's my report. Looking forward to the 1500 in January.

12bee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I like used firearms from private individuals or dealers.New guns don't do much for me and the two dealers that had quite a few guns, had mostly new and very few used.There wasn't alot of dealers as you stated, probably less than half a dozen.When I set up at a show, I never know what will sell.It may be ammo of a certain caliber, rifles, shotguns, handguns, who knows.I may be cleaned out of 30/06 one day, bring more the next day and not sell any.I have all sorts of what some may call useless junk on the table, but I always sell something.Today wasn't a shotgun day for us, tomorrow may be.

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    Yeah and Guys walking around in Key Bib Overalls giving the gun owning crowd a bad rap.
    GMVISO you will find that every show has it's own personality Just like a Ham fest I'm sure you have been to one of those.
    I also have to say the face of a gun show has changed dramaticly in the last 5 to 8 years.
    I've been to shows all over the country and every one is a treat .
    My definition of the Indy 1500 is for the most part table after table of the same stuff.
    I was at a show in Kansas city a few months ago and not only was it a swap shop it was a true show. there were many guys with displays of certian models or certian brands or just one model of many variations. It was a true show in the sense of the word

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    Sounds like the 1500 in Indy would be more of what you are looking for. When I go, looking at the new guns isn't really what I want to do, so Shipshe and Nappanee are more my cup of tea. Plus if I do want a new one, the outfit that you are probably referring to being cheaper than the others is right here in Goshen so I just stop at the shop during the week and miss the crowd.

RH822-A

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 11, 2008
    Pleasant Lake, Steuben County
    I took home a SS SA Mil-Spec 1911A1. It cost me a Walther P99 compact (that nobody wanted to buy) and $35. The FFL gave me $495 trade value for a gun I was trying to sell for $450. I left happy.

RH

gmviso

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Well in case I bore anyone I want to apologize up front.

As a newb I went to my first gun show this afternoon, in Shipshewana. Was not exactly sure what to expect, but as a computer geek my only other experience has been with computer shows.

For those of you who may not know, at computer shows, there were primarily a bunch a small businesses who would bring loads of new components for building computers. In the early days, this was about the only way you could both select and touch the components you were going to build a PC from and get them at pretty good prices. So, I was kind of expecting a lot of dealers at the gun show with great prices on new firearms.

However this was not what I experienced.

Don't get me wrong, despite this the show was worthwhile for my first time. It was just not what I was expecting.

What I saw was a myriad of what appeared to be private collectors displaying a BUNCH of old firearms that I am sure I would not have found anywhere else. And if I was looking for something like this I would have probably found it there.

I did not count, but there could not have been more than a dozen dealers there, probably less. And, as near as I could tell there were not a lot of deals to be had with the exception of one dealer who seemed to have new firearms priced well below normal store front prices.

Well that's my report. Looking forward to the 1500 in January.

I realized that I failed to point out what impressed me the most.

Everyone there was extremely polite!

Thanks to all who were there.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    But most importantly Farmritch, are they the striped kind or the denim ones... inquiring minds you know...

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom