• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    My son in law inherited two guns and about 4 boxes of ammo. He is here from Texas and wants to ship it to himself. I told him I thought he could send the guns no problem using UPS.

Im not so clear on the ammo regs (?)

If he puts the ammo in his luggage he'll have to check the bag and that's a $25 cost with American Airlines. That is one alternative if TSA doesn't prevent it.

What's the best legal way to get the ammo home to TX for him. I don't think he could get the ammo in the same box he is using to ship the guns home.

Thanks in advance.

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    Ammo can be expensive to ship. Not only is it heavy but in order to do it by the rules it also has to be labeled as ORM-D small arms ammunition (explosive). Some carriers won't take it at all and others will only take it at certain locations. For instance UPS will ship ammo but no UPS Store locations will take it as they cannot accept hazardous materials.

Also so without looking I don't think airlines will let you have it even in your checked luggage due to "explosives" risk. Unloaded Guns can usually be checked though.

Are we we talking a few boxes of 9 mm here or 2000 rounds of .338 Lapua? If common and not too much of it would it be easier to just shoot it/sell it/give it away?

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Ammo can be expensive to ship. Not only is it heavy but in order to do it by the rules it also has to be labeled as ORM-D small arms ammunition (explosive). Some carriers won't take it at all and others will only take it at certain locations. For instance UPS will ship ammo but no UPS Store locations will take it as they cannot accept hazardous materials.

Also so without looking I don't think airlines will let you have it even in your checked luggage due to "explosives" risk. Unloaded Guns can usually be checked though.

Are we we talking a few boxes of 9 mm here or 2000 rounds of .338 Lapua? If common and not too much of it would it be easier to just shoot it/sell it/give it away?
    Ammo is permitted to be checked. It must be in the original factory packaging and there is a limit to number of rounds.

That being said, IIRC, you can USPS a rifle, just not a handgun. Are these long-guns or handguns?

OP, I have news for your son: the cost to ship a firearm through UPS will be far beyond the $25 to just check the bag at the airport.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    The guns are a Henry 44-40 lever action and there is a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44. The ammo is 4 50 round boxes of .44. We have a UPS hub about 8 miles from my house so I don't have to mess with the local UPS stores - I know they won't accept anything that even has the word gun in it. I tried to ship a wood stock once (just the stock - no metal whatsoever) abd the UPS store refused it.

Just wondering if UPS will accept the ammo for shipment (?)

Thanks in advance

wassup61

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2015
    nwi
    UPS will accept at the terminal, put it in the box, print an ORM D label, slap it on and ship it ground at the standard rate. /thread

Top Bottom