• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Just went to a UPS store to ship some ammo and they told me to go to the distribution center. Went to the distribution center and the lady told me the box wasn't properly marked. I asked if they had the ORM-D labels and she said they don't. All she could do was give me an 800 number to call to find out what I needed to do to ship. It's been awhile since I've shipped ammo but WTF?

Purdue Plinker

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 7, 2013
    Indy
    Probably overkill on info but this should cover everything: GunBroker.com Message Forums - Shipping Ammunition & Firearms + Hazmat

Sounds like you can draw it and print neatly:

Part 172 (Marking) 172.316 Packagings containing material classed as ORM-D

(a) Each non-bulk packaging containing a material classed as ORM-D must be marked on at least one side or end with the ORM-D designation immediately following or below the proper shipping name of the material (Cartridges, Small Arms). The ORM designation must be placed within a rectangle that is approximately 6.3 mm (0.25 inches) larger on each side that the designation.

(b) The marking ORM-D is the certification by the person offering the packaging for transportation that the material is properly described, classed, packaged, marked and labeled (when appropriate) and in proper condition for transportation according to the applicable regulations of this subchapter.

So, basically you need to label the box on the end as ORM-D inside a square box you have drawn, then print Cartridges, 'Small Arms'; UPS illustration using 'Consumer Commodity'; (change to 'Cartridges, Small Arms') UPS hazardous/restricted items section @ 1-800-554-9964.

Sean

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    The above post is correct, you can buy the stickers or simply draw a square and write "ORM-D Cartridges Small Arms" within the square.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    One thing I read made me think an individual could ship to a dealer or vs versa but not from individual to individual.

nm0369

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Greenwood
    You can ship person to person, anywhere the ammo is legal. UPS Stores/Fedex Office are usually a no-go when it comes to guns/ammo. The UPS hub downtown on 16th has always been quick and easy. As mentioned, white paper w/ a rectangle containing "ORM-D" and "Cartridges, Small Arms" written above it is fine.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    One thing I read made me think an individual could ship to a dealer or vs versa but not from individual to individual.

^^^I did this exact thing 3 years ago or so, with NO problems=Indy to SE Fla.

You can also Google up "ORM-D label" and print something nice to tape on the box. The more professional it looks, the more likely they are to not hassle you IMO.

Example:
    http://www.type03.net/ammo/orm-d-white.jpg

See also this thread:
    Shipping Loaded Ammunition in the United States - AR15.COM

Made these copys off of the internet+sent off..

You can ship person to person, anywhere the ammo is legal. UPS Stores/Fedex Office are usually a no-go when it comes to guns/ammo. The UPS hub downtown on 16th has always been quick and easy. As mentioned, white paper w/ a rectangle containing "ORM-D" and "Cartridges, Small Arms" written above it is fine.

I went to the 'Hub' at Castleton (N Indy) and sent with no problems..

JBI812

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    East side Indianapol
    It's classified as hazardous material and must be labeled accordingly. I've shipped defective cartridges back to the manufactures and each time they gave me specific instructions on how to package and label.

Top Bottom