• ...and so much more!
  • Electron don

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2008
    Evansville
    I have a C&R FFL and have someone that wants to buy a Remington 22 from me. I read somewhere (BATF I think) that an unlicensed person in Indiana can ship another person in Indiana a rifle as long as they are an adult who is allowed to own the rifle.

However, does that also mean that since I do have a FFL, then I must ship to another FFL even within Indiana?

Thanks

Indiana

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I have a C&R FFL and have someone that wants to buy a Remington 22 from me. I read somewhere (BATF I think) that an unlicensed person in Indiana can ship another person in Indiana a rifle as long as they are an adult who is allowed to own the rifle.

However, does that also mean that since I do have a FFL, then I must ship to another FFL even within Indiana?

Thanks

You are correct. You can legally ship the rifle to another person in the state. If the rifle is in your C&R record you would need to record the information in your log. If it is not in your C&R book, then there is no recording required for the transaction. It would be safe do ask for a drivers license with at least the birthday information and address showing to confirm that the person is over 18. Hope that helps.
    Indiana

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    According to ATF Online - Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives unlicensed persons can ship guns to each other within the same state. However, 9 times out of 9 if you ask any carrier they will say you can't do it; gotta have a license. I showed my USPS guy the ATF ruling and he asked "what's ATF?" He looked in his 6" thick manual and found that I actually could mail a rifle. I called UPS and FedEx and they absolutely refused. Guess they are big enough that they can circumvent Federal law.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    According to ATF Online - Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives unlicensed persons can ship guns to each other within the same state. However, 9 times out of 9 if you ask any carrier they will say you can't do it; gotta have a license. I showed my USPS guy the ATF ruling and he asked "what's ATF?" He looked in his 6" thick manual and found that I actually could mail a rifle. I called UPS and FedEx and they absolutely refused. Guess they are big enough that they can circumvent Federal law.

Why does this not surprise me?

Still disappointing, though, that postal employees don't know that.

I think I'll print off the FAQ page and bring it along with me to the post office to show to the postmaster in case of any confused civil servants.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    While it is legal, all shipping company's that allow gun shipments require that it be received by an FFL.

Not really true ...
    when I shipped my LCP's back to ruger . They were returned to me by UPS directly to my house , I have never had nor will ever have an FFL.

UPS also picked them up at my house ...

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    So wait, we can ship long-guns to non-FFL holders within the state?

AAAAHHHH, I asked this 2 weeks ago and was given the exact opposite response. I need to ship a rifle to Indy to have some engraving done. But I was told that it couldn't be done unless the person receiving it was an FFL holder.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    So wait, we can ship long-guns to non-FFL holders within the state?

AAAAHHHH, I asked this 2 weeks ago and was given the exact opposite response. I need to ship a rifle to Indy to have some engraving done. But I was told that it couldn't be done unless the person receiving it was an FFL holder.

If it's for gunsmithing, they must have an FFL, this is if you're selling it or such

gund

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    Legally I don't even think you are required to tell Fedex or UPS that you have a firearm in the box. Company policy-wise, they may require it. You could lie, probably not good for insurance purposes though.

This is for in state shipping. Out of state it has to go to a FFL.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom