• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indymike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Wanted to get some feedback on this to make sure I have come to the right conclusion.

According to the ATF, a gun can be shipped between private parties within a state so long as both are residents of that state and it is shipped with a contract carrier (shotguns and rifles can go through USPS) and it doesn't stipulate that it has to be sent overnight or by air. No FFL is required in this situation:

ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons
    [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

I checked the Indiana Code, specifically IC 35-47-2.5, and there is no mention at all about shipping. I read all sections of Title 35 Article 47 and found no mention of shipping regulations with regard to private transfers at all.

So in this case, I am inclined to conclude that Federal law dictates the shipping between private persons in Indiana and that no FFL has to be involved? Does anyone know of any information that would contradict this?

indymike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Shipping is if a person would rather ship a gun 3 hours away for $10-$20 by UPS or USPS (for a rifle) for the gas savings and convenience for a private resident to resident sale. This is assuming copies of DL, passport, utility bill or some other means of showing residency have been mailed or faxed to one another. These would be Title I guns only.

Top Bottom