Shipping a gun in-state for work/repair/engraving?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Ok, I'm sure that has been asked before, but my search-fu is weak. I tried several different combinations of keywords and came up with nothing.

I am going to be shipping my AR-15 receiver to Laserscribe in Indy for SBR engraving. Is there anything special that I need to do in order to ship it? What shipping methods can I use?

Can it be sent USPS?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    for gunwork, if shipped to and from and FFL no 4473 is needed, however it must be shipped to an ffl.... that said, if its a class III i believe it must be shipped to a class three ffl as well

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    for gunwork, if shipped to and from and FFL no 4473 is needed, however it must be shipped to an ffl.... that said, if its a class III i believe it must be shipped to a class three ffl as well
    It is not a Title II firearm yet. I called Laserscribe and the lady on the phone didn't think they had an FFL.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    If they're not an FFL, you can't ship it to them.
    Well that stinks.

Ted, the gentleman that deals with firearms wasn't in today so they weren't really sure. He said they do a lot of AR15 receivers and normally they have about a 1 week turn-around, and that I could just ship it to him. So either he isn't up on the gun laws, or they do have an FFL and the other people in the office just weren't sure about it.

If they don't have an FFL can I even leave it with them for a week?

Its looking like the great place for SBR engraving isn't so great anymore. I know that an IN member on arfcom said they do great work and it is reasonably priced (they're half of what Orion wants to do the engraving). I just didn't want to make 2 special trips up to Indy to have it done.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    So either he isn't up on the gun laws, or they do have an FFL and the other people in the office just weren't sure about it.

Find out.

If they don't have an FFL can I even leave it with them for a week?

Theoretically you can, but I personally don't think I would. Seems like an unreasonable amount of time for a simple job. I had a local jeweler do my first SBR lower, and it only took 24 hours (they did a crappy job, but that's beside the point).

an IN member on arfcom said they do great work and it is reasonably priced

The above-mentioned jeweler was also recommended to me by someone on ARFcom, so that doesn't mean much. Have you seen examples of Laserscribe's work on firearms? Are they familiar with and can they comply with the engraving depth and height requirements set forth by ATF? Things to think about.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Find out.

Theoretically you can, but I personally don't think I would. Seems like an unreasonable amount of time for a simple job. I had a local jeweler do my first SBR lower, and it only took 24 hours (they did a crappy job, but that's beside the point).

The above-mentioned jeweler was also recommended to me by someone on ARFcom, so that doesn't mean much. Have you seen examples of Laserscribe's work on firearms? Are they familiar with and can they comply with the engraving depth and height requirements set forth by ATF? Things to think about.
    I tried a local jeweler, but the job he did on my F1 can was so aweful that I wasn't going to let him touch my lower. So I decided that I was going to pay to have it done, if I was paying, I was going to have it where I wanted (inside the trigger guard), but only a handful of places can do it there. They can meet depth specs, Ted reassured me of this. I haven't seen examples of their work, but the guy that had it done on arfcom seemed very pleased. For half the price that other places wanted to do it in that location, I'll give it a try, and if it doesn't looked pretty, at least it is out of plain view.

Top Bottom