Ship Firearm back to Ruger via which carrier?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I might have to ship my Ruger Mark 3 back to Ruger for some repairs. :xmad:
    By question is who should I go with? FexEx or UPS? Have anyone done this before? Any tips on what I should do. I don't want to cause a scare to the poor clerk you know.

BTW my handgun is in pieces right now. The bolt won't go into the barrel (bent ejector) so how should I ship it back? I have the plastic case the gun came in. Is that good enough and then having the clerk put that inside one of their boxes with peanuts?

:dunno: thanks!

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    When I had to ship a piece back to Taurus, Taurus had FedEx pick it up. I was given a box in which I was told to place the unloaded firearm in its original factory case. FedEx knew it was a firearm since it was prearranged. No problems. It was sent back to me via FedEx as well.

I suggest you call FedEx to ask for instructions. They know how to handle it, and do a good job.

Good luck. Hope it comes back 100%.

bogus

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Columbus area
    I took one to FedEx inside an Office Max store. It was in my original cardboard S&W box. You have to notify the clerk that it is a firearm. The lady who took mine didn't bat an eye. Seemed very common place for her. She grabbed a small shipping box, took my info from the return label S&W sent me, handed me a shipping receipt (very important!) and I was on my way in no time flat.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I used UPS, one of the hub and not a Franchise, they knew exactly what to do. Took all of 5 minutes. From what I've gather the problems comes from Franchise operations.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Call Ruger and set up the return and ask them to send you a prepaid shipping container. DO NOT send anything but the gun itself to Ruger, they don't even want you to ship it in its origional plastic case. Ruger should send you a prepaid cardboard box, which I believe will be FedEx as the carrier.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    How about just ordering the bent part?

Page 40 for an exploded diagram.

http://ruger.com/products/_manuals/markIII.pdf

Ruger doesn't list an ejector in their parts list - but Brownells lists one for the earlier models - unsure if it is the same, but a call to Ruger with the part number KA01600....might be worth your time.

$4.99

RUGER : Ejector, SS (780-000-346) - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

RUGER : Ejector Rivet, SS (780-000-351) - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

Or maybe this is what you're looking for:

Volquartsen Spring Loaded Magazine Ejector Ruger Mark 3 Stainless Steel - MidwayUSA

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    How about just ordering the bent part?

Page 40 for an exploded diagram.

http://ruger.com/products/_manuals/markIII.pdf

Ruger doesn't list an ejector in their parts list - but Brownells lists one for the earlier models - unsure if it is the same, but a call to Ruger with the part number KA01600....might be worth your time.

$4.99

RUGER : Ejector, SS (780-000-346) - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

RUGER : Ejector Rivet, SS (780-000-351) - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

Or maybe this is what you're looking for:

Volquartsen Spring Loaded Magazine Ejector Ruger Mark 3 Stainless Steel - MidwayUSA

Hum.. Perhaps "ejector" is NOT the correct term. Based on the last link (which has an image) that is not what is bent on mind. It's a small copper colored finger link piece of metal that is INSIDE the barrel in the lower middle part of the barrel. It is attached via a rivet to the barrel and when you look down the barrel where the bolt goes it looks like a U shaped part. The left side of the U shape part is short, the right side is longer and looks like a finger. If you were to put the bolt into the barrel this "finger" hides inside the bold and you can only see it when the bolt is pulled back (ie the gun is not yet loaded).

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Look at page 40 & 41 in the first link I provided.

The part I'm talking about is NOT listed on the PDF manual. It's INSIDE the barrel and per my talk with the Ruger tech it's the only riveted part in the barrel which can not be replaced. He gave me some suggested to get the bolt to drop into the barrel. I have now been able to do that (ie. bolt is all the way into the barrel). The last thing left is putting the last part (#53 the one you remove with the paperclip back into the hole).

I can get it in and but just can't get it to push back the spring on the bolt to get in all the way. Suspect it's just me being a weakling in terms of not pushing hard enough at this point, the gun being new, and the spring as well.

Gonna look at some more youtube videos. I might need a rubber mattel to just tap it in.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Update. Got the Ruger re-assembled! But the problem is still there. In order to re-assemble it I had to tap the bolt into the barrel (with my hand) the last 1" of the way. Well once re-assembled I can ONLY pull the bolt back 1" and it jams. :faint:

So I'll have to call Ruger Customer Service again tomorrow and see what solution they can provide. It looks like it's not the ejector that is causing the hang up. The bolt appears to be having issues with the firing pin inside the bolt that sticks out into the "groves" that the bolt has the ride near the ejector but I'm not sure. Nothing appears to be touching anything else.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    I still think it's that U shaped part that's out of alignment... as you push the bolt in it rides in the tracks in the underneath of the bolt and starts to cock the bolt out of alignment with everything else in the reciever... and that's a staked part which means Ruger needs to replace it... If you want I'll bring one of my MKII's over to try putting your bolt in to test your bolts specs... in order to test it the other way around we would have to figure out what is holding the loaded round indicator part in place because the MKII doesn't have the slot in the bolt to seat all the way into the MKIII reciever... Let me know...

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    When mine went back to Ruger, I was sent a shipping label via email. Can't remember the carrier. They'll give you specific instructions. Mine went without the box, papers, locks, mags, etc. There was no grief at the shipping counter.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    As for shipping you just need to pack it in a regular shipping box and you would need to take it to a UPS corporate shipping location like the one in Hessville, the UPS stores etc. won't take it... Declare it and off it goes... If you can get Ruger to send you a prepaid shipping container or UPS shipping slip it would be much more affordable for you as UPS will force you to ship it over night at a premium being that it is a handgun...

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Carp32
    Top Bottom