• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I'm thinking out loud here...let's say I have a relative who owns property in SC. I wonder if he could parcel off a small piece of his property, sell it to me for $1, and then I would be the deeded owner and a property owner in SC. Then I would be able to apply for a SC CCW permit.

:dunno:

That may work. Here is the line from the SC Code:

(2) “Qualified nonresident” means an individual who owns real property in South Carolina, but who resides in another state.
    Source: South Carolina Law Enforcement Division

When I checked on this, Real Property meant that you had a deed to the property, and paid property taxes on the assessed value of that property. We own a deed to the timeshare that we own, which meats the first part. The second part on property taxes we don't have since we don't directly pay them (they are paid by the Timeshare management group as part of our annual maintenance fee).

So, if you had a deed to that small parcel, and paid SC property tax you would be good to go, of course so long as you also meat the SC training requirement. In our case, we're just as well off to take a class to get the FLA non-resident permit as it is recognized by many other states including SC.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Florida vs Utah... what do you pick?

From this site: Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps

Utah Non-Resident:

Permit Honored:
    Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming
    Permit Not Honored:
    California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Hawaii, Kansas, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Guam, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, District of Columbia
    Right Denied:
    Illinois, American Samoa, N. Mariana Islands

Florida Non-Resident:

Permit Honored:
    Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wyoming
    Permit Not Honored:
    California, Colorado, Connecticut, Hawaii, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Wisconsin, Guam, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, District of Columbia
    Right Denied:
    Illinois, American Samoa, N. Mariana Islands

In looking at this again, it looks like SC doesn't honor Florida NR...hmm. I wonder if that has changed, or if I misunderstood what I read. Looks like SC only reciprocates on RESIDENT ermits from other states.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Be careful with this... what I've read in comments on that article is that SC recognizes RESIDENT permits only - non-resident permits (which is what we would have with FL and UT) are NOT recognized. Bill's post in our reciprocity thread backs this up.

From this site: Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps

In looking at this again, it looks like SC doesn't honor Florida NR...hmm. I wonder if that has changed, or if I misunderstood what I read. Looks like SC only reciprocates on RESIDENT ermits from other states.
    Good to know that sometimes I get things right. ;)

Top Bottom