• ...and so much more!
  • Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Given the title of this sub forum I thought it may be of interest to some here to learn, or teach, or recommend to others of like mind, what they can about shelf life of some foods.

Now, I have been involved in home canning since I was old enough to do garden chores. Mrs. Mij and I put out our garden each year and emphasize a single vegetable yearly and rotate through 3 primary, to us, vegetables yearly. In other words, we plant enough of one to last 3 years. Then we put them by and hope to make it to the next planting. It makes processing easier, quicker. Those 3 are sweet corn, green beans, and tomatoes. We do plant small plantings of others to be eaten fresh. All of those, will with proper canning methods last at least 3 years. Yes I’ve gone longer, but that is what we’ve been comfortable with.

The same goes for home canned Chili, Spaghetti Sauce, Salsa, Beef, Venison, Wild Rabbit, other wild game animals. Each year I go to Hesperia Mich. and take my limit of wild caught Salmon. Those are put up on site and they are very good for 3 years.

So, some other foods we have found.

Dak brand hams, found on sale frequently.
    6 years, no refrigeration needed when kept in a reasonable environment.

Almost any canned soups or beans 5 years. No refrigeration.

Now a group of products that are foolers, most store bought grain products. Corn, Wheat, Rice. Especially boxed products. These items WILL produce critters that fly. The little buggers are in the very product you want to put by. They survive the growing, harvesting, production processes. They live through there larvae stage inside there host grain, you put them on the shelf for long term storage. They grow and hatch becoming the little moths you see in your pantry. If you are keeping these items, heat and pressure are your friends. Oxygen not so much.

OK, I hope that starts a useful thread.

One last food to always keep on hand and keep in mind, Twinkies, from my research they don’t ever die. They live forever.

Head on a swivel INGO. Democrats walk amongst us.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The gardener asked me about expiration dates on food cans as our DIL had asked her about it. Years ago when ISO-9000 became a business trend this really took off on everything as if you followed the guidelines, everything had to have an expiration date. You could not use the material in the process or you had to have the vendor recertify it with a new expiration date.

A lot of the time these numbers were WAGs pulled out of the air, but staying on the conservative side. Whether some was based on testing or just good marketing I never knew for sure, but over the course of my career I tested and recertified a lot of stuff.

I have to believe it is the same for food products.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    The former owner of Grabill Meats told me that no matter what the label says, the meat is good as long as the cans are intact. We home canned deer meat 3 years ago and it’s still good. Honey, maple syrup and vinegar are practically immortal. We have fruits and vegetables canned 10 years ago that have lost some color but are still good.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I believe Grabil canned meats have a 10 yr exp date. But the owner said that's just because they have to put one on them, and he's eaten ones much older.

As for pantry moths, freezing for a period of time is supposed to kill the larvae/eggs.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    My wife found some Progresso soup cans that had expired in 2016 while she was going through things last winter. I think I've eaten them all by now, and they were all fine. The way I see it, the only reason to throw expired canned goods away would be when you really need to make room for new stuff, and the old cans aren't something that you want to eat.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    64   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    We have been rotating canned goods, found 2014-2015 best by dates and everything has been good except for 1 can of green beans, products are stored in controlled environment which really helps i think. even cans of 2015 dated ravioli and spaghetti were good to go!!!!!!

Reactions: Mij
    Top Bottom