Shelf life of Breakfree CLP and other gun cleaning products?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    Going through some stuff has me thinking about this. I have had a single bottle of Breakfree CLP that is around 10 years old. It has always sat in my SHTF gear so it hasn't been used, probably never even opened. Any idea how long this stuff lasts for? Do the chemicals start breaking down or anything? Are all gun solvents/oils a long shelf life or should I try to use this stuff soon? I know different kinds of grease can turn bad. Then there's good ol' cosmoline but that's more a storage thing (but the stuff warms my heart because it normally means a new old gun to me!).

CombatVet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bartholomew County
    I think it doesn't expire. I wouldn't use it though if it has chunks of crap floating around in it though. I've seen some old bottles get a white film on top too, which I wouldn't use either. If it's still a nice brown color you should be good to go.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I don't think I have any cleaning products that last more than 2 years. So this is an interesting question. I'm thinking they never expire, but surely at some point in time even Break Free starts to break down. I would rotate the stuff at least every 5 years just to be sure.

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    I opened the bottle, there is a small ring of tan stuff which I'm assuming is the lubricant in both the neck and on the lid. Otherwise is seems ok. I'm going to change it out for another cleaner/lube combo (hopefully CLP again just to compare fresh from old) when I can and try to use this a little to see how it is.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I've found that breakfree that has sat awhile gets gunked up, and doesn't work well. I once used an old bottle on an otherwise reliable P239, and had multiple malfunctions. Cleaned it on the range, used an old bottle of Hoppes oil, and the gun immediately started working properly again. This and other issues have sent me back to Hoppes permanently. I also tossed any old bottles of oil.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Thanks for the info Joe. Know of any combo solvent/oils that have a long shelf life?

Good old fashioned Hoppes works fine for me. I've given up on the combo cleaners. They just don't seem to work as well. They seem to do one thing well, while not doing the other as well. It's not that much hassle, for me, to just use seperate solvent and oil.

Top Bottom