SF Cops Shoot 2 Bystanders. Target Unharmed.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    There used to be a really nice indoor range in the Fremont area, Target Masters West. It wasn't a cop range, though. Don't remember ever seeing a cop in there. Lots of regular folks, though.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I wonder what would happen if a citizen were to accidentally shoot two people in a hail of inaccurate gunfire, while trying to disarm a guy running from them?
    Oh, shoot, Benny. You know what would happen to one of us. You'd go straight to jail. No $200 bucks, nothing. And you'd lose your gun. As we've seen in the "what's going to happen to you" scenarios, shooting at a fleeing criminal is a no no for us. It's OK for cops to shoot someone in the back, tho. Shouldn't be. But it is.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    Is that a rhetorical question?

Of course it is. We all know there'd be several press releases exonerating the citizen of any wrongdoing after an inter-citizenry hearing. There'd also be a media blitz with the repetition of the phrase "isolated incident", and no charges whatsoever would be filed.

radonc73

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Lowell
    WOW is all you can say, WOW.:dunno: I am sure that it will be a "good shoot" Good thing only cops need guns right?

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    I just don't know how to respond to this! How could they even see the need to fire if there was the possibility of hitting civilians while NOT being fired at. Escalation of force is a must to prevent collateral damage IMO. I didn't get much info from the article, but I would sure like to know more of the situation.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Notice there is no mention of what the "weapon" was. They're always quick to mention if it was a gun, but this time it's just a weapon. Screwdriver? Knife? Bat? None of those warrant shooting.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Screwdriver? Knife? Bat? None of those warrant shooting.

Ummm, I disagree. Are they not deadly weapons?

I've seen some really screwed up injuries from baseball bats and knives.

I think it odd that the police are not named. If a CCW holder had shot two innocent people his or her name and photo would be all over the paper.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Ummm, I disagree. Are they not deadly weapons?

I've seen some really screwed up injuries from baseball bats and knives.

I think it odd that the police are not named. If a CCW holder had shot two innocent people his or her name and photo would be all over the paper.
    They're not deadly to you if the guy is running in the opposite direction. I agree they can be devastating in combat, but NOT when someone is heading away from you. At that point they're harmless to you.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Notice there is no mention of what the "weapon" was. They're always quick to mention if it was a gun, but this time it's just a weapon. Screwdriver? Knife? Bat? None of those warrant shooting in the event that the subject is running away from you.

FIFY.

The suspect ran away from police and produced a weapon, they said.

Officers then fired at the suspect, who was not hit.

If a dude with a knife starts running away by all means draw your pistol just in case he tries to double back or lunge toward a group of civilians, but opening fire seems unwarranted.

EDIT: dangit, beat me to it :P

Banshee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    And why is this standard only applied to LEO news stories?

I think when your average reasonable person thinks of the word political the first thing that pops in their head would be political parties, upcoming elections, ect. Ive never voted a police officer into office. To me it does not really apply. Obviously police officers are a part of the judicial system as a whole so you could make the connection. Using those standards I could easily search the interwebz for positive LEO stories, and post them all here. Wouldn't that be counter productive? Wouldn't that be annoying? Shouldn't that principle work both ways? Again I fail to see how posting something that is really a use of force issue, in a state over 1,000 miles away, relevant to general politics.

I believe everyone is aware there are some bad leo's out there. There are also a lot of bad mechanics, plumbers, insurance agents, attorneys I could also dig up a lot of stories about horrible janitors, construction workers. Not political? What if they are contacted to do work at the state house? Or clean the toilets at the local city building?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I think when your average reasonable person thinks of the word political the first thing that pops in their head would be political parties, upcoming elections, ect. Ive never voted a police officer into office. To me it does not really apply. Obviously police officers are a part of the judicial system as a whole so you could make the connection. Using those standards I could easily search the interwebz for positive LEO stories, and post them all here. Wouldn't that be counter productive? Wouldn't that be annoying? Shouldn't that principle work both ways? Again I fail to see how posting something that is really a use of force issue, in a state over 1,000 miles away, relevant to general politics.

I believe everyone is aware there are some bad leo's out there. There are also a lot of bad mechanics, plumbers, insurance agents, attorneys I could also dig up a lot of stories about horrible janitors, construction workers. Not political? What if they are contacted to do work at the state house? Or clean the toilets at the local city building?

LEO's are employed by the people and are agents of the state. The other jobs you mentioned are not. I have yet to have a janitor, etc try exorcise authority over me.

The "this didn't happen in Indiana so it shouldn't be posted here" mantra is nothing more than a tool to try to shut down speech on this board. If the site owner decides to ban that topic, then fine. Let the issue be the issue instead of making up bogus excuses to silence the topic.

Banshee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    LEO's are employed by the people and are agents of the state. The other jobs you mentioned are not. I have yet to have a janitor, etc try exorcise authority over me.

The "this didn't happen in Indiana so it shouldn't be posted here" mantra is nothing more than a tool to try to shut down speech on this board. If the site owner decides to ban that topic, then fine. Let the issue be the issue instead of making up bogus excuses to silence the topic.

Ive yet to have a police officer exercise their authority over me. I'm not going for any "it didn't happen in indiana so it should not be posted mantra " I'm stating this article even being political is a stretch. Again couldn't I just dig up every positive LEO story I could find and post it on here. They are agents of the state right? So its political.

Top Bottom