• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I just had my serpentine belt come off it's pulleys here in Castleton, and I was wondering if anyone had an idea of what this is going to cost me to have put back to rights? Since the belt is whole, and appears to be in good shape, I'm guessing the tensioner pulley broke off somewhere so I'll need another one. I'm tempted to do this one myself, but I don't have a lift, so I'm plannning on leaving this to the professionals...but in my mind, having crawled under the car in a cold, wet parking lot, I would really think this is a less than $100 job, plus the cost of the tensioner pulley. Am I in the ballpark, or is this going to seriously cut into my gun fund??

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    what kind of car? if it has a timing driven water pump I don't see whay you shouldn't be able to get it where you need going.
    chances are any professional mechanic is going to advise you to replace the belt as well.
    but unless a pulley broke, it's most likely just the tensioner. but we can't give you any good answers til we know what kind of car.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    Get yourself a gator v belt for $35 and take minutes to put it on. Your radiator should have a pic showing how to route it. For $100 they better give me a happy ending.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    I think you guys are missing the fact that a belt just doesn't fly off for no reason. There is another issue going on. and 100 dollars sounds about fair for a repair shop, remember you pay for what you don't know how to do.

Belt -35 dollars
    Labor - 50 dollars (1/2 hour @100 an hour)
    Shop Fees - 10 dollars

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I think you guys are missing the fact that a belt just doesn't fly off for no reason. There is another issue going on. and 100 dollars sounds about fair for a repair shop, remember you pay for what you don't know how to do.

Belt -35 dollars
    Labor - 50 dollars (1/2 hour @100 an hour)
    Shop Fees - 10 dollars

:+1:, My thoughts exactly. And don't forget sales tax!

Something else is definitely causing an issue.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Usually the spring in the tensioner pulley assembly breaks when this happens. Either way, you can do it from above and likely can't from below. Most people with any sort of mechanical aptitude can take care of this for just the price of parts and as Tyler said, the belt routing diagram should be printed on the core support above the radiator. $100-$150 is a good ballpark figure.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Or if he is really lucky it is a 3.4/3.1 and you have to support the engine while you remove the upper right motor mount to change the belt.

Without knowing what type of vehicle everyone is just guessing.

Did an Alternator seize up?
    Just a tensioner?
    Belts just don't come off normally.

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    3.1 GM motor?

Sorry for the hijack. I have a 3.1 chevy malibu and if removing a motor mount and jacking the motor up just to replace the belt, then it might be worth paying someone.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    3.1 GM motor?

Sorry for the hijack. I have a 3.1 chevy malibu and if removing a motor mount and jacking the motor up just to replace the belt, then it might be worth paying someone.

It has been about 6 years since I turned a wrench for a living but I believe so yes.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Belts do indeed come off or break for no reason sometimes.

I had a belt with less than 5000 miles break when I was accelerating hard to get on the freeway.

I was perplexed that none of the other components caused the failure. I can only guess some road debris got up there and threw it off or broke it. I never found it, but I sure did hear it go.

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    I've had father in laws belt jump off in winter from running over a chunk of ice or a water puddle. Just put it back on

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Belts do indeed come off or break for no reason sometimes.

I had a belt with less than 5000 miles break when I was accelerating hard to get on the freeway.

I was perplexed that none of the other components caused the failure. I can only guess some road debris got up there and threw it off or broke it. I never found it, but I sure did hear it go.

I've had father in laws belt jump off in winter from running over a chunk of ice or a water puddle. Just put it back on

Snow and ice are known for causing this, especially if your car doesn't have any undersheets.

I'd still scrutinize every component on the belt drive to ensure that there aren't any discrepancies, but it is very possible to have "jumped a belt" with some snow and or ice.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Thanks guys, and I will give Daniel a call in the morning...wifey made me go out carousing with her tonight after she picked me up from being stranded. It is a Jetta with a 1.9L turbodiesel and in retrospect I should have figured it out when the power steering failed yesterday; but I thought I had just lost the power steering pump. I mean, who needs power steering, anyway? The serpentine turns the alternator, so once the battery discharged, I was left dead in the water.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    3.1 GM motor?

I hate those vehicles with a passion. my GF has the 4 cylinder, but I did a valve-cover gasket replacement on a 3.1 malibu... I never want to do that again. I pity you for having to work on one.

Top Bottom