Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    SENIOR CITIZENS SLINGIN’ SIXGUNS

SENIOR CITIZENS SLINGIN’ SIXGUNS

Friday, June 18th, 2010
    One of my favorite stops on my teaching tour every year is the Sand Burr Gun Ranch in Rochester, Indiana. The facility is a shooting park with rustic classroom, five ranges, and a gun shop that makes you feel as if you’ve taken a time machine back to the 1950s. Founder Denny Reichard does his gunsmithing there, doing action smoothing work that’s as good as you’ll find anywhere in the world.
    The resident teaching crew, for the most part, are gun geezers, and they carry classic Smith & Wesson large caliber revolvers. Well, “when in Rome…” For the first of the two classes I taught in June, I alternated between two Model 625 S&W revolvers, chambered for the .45 Auto cartridge and quickly reloadable with six-shot moon clips. Denny’s trademark gun is a 6” barrel S&W .44 Magnum that he has carried for most of his 36 years of police work that will soon end in honorable retirement. (He’s kinda slowing down, and only carries the one. For much of his career, he carried two at a time. He won the Indiana State Action Shooting Championship several times with one or another of those Dirty Harry guns. The difference was, “Dirty Harry” shot blanks. Denny carries 180 grain Magnum hollow points that leave the long barrels at 1600 feet per second).

Massad Ayoob 2010 June

RetDep310

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Columbus
    My son lives a few miles south of Rochester, and works at the airport. I had no idea Sand Burr was even there. Guess i'm going to pay a visit next time I visit the family. He better not have been keeping that a secret from me....:rolleyes:

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    Having seen Denny shoot and listened to many of his stories, he is very entertaining and a wealth of information. Both in shooting skills and history of the shooting sports over his career. He knew a number of the greats and shares his great memories of them.

First met Denny at a Tipon gun show when I was sit up next to a friend of his. He struck me as a very colorful person at the time. Turns out he really is...LOL

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    I didn't know that place existed! Looks like I'll be taking a trip. My wife has been wanting to go on a trip and told me to plan something and surprise her. Surprise honey, we're going shooting. And maybe some shopping too. :D

Top Bottom