• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gilliu

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Hi All,

Have been shopping for a 12 gauge semi-auto shotgun. Have found a Beretta Urika 2 for $719, Browning Gold Hunter for $534, Browning Silver Hunter for $500 and a Winchester SX3 for $799

So any strong opinions on the above for trap and pheasant hunting?

Have heard that the Browning / Winchester guns are easier to clean. Have looked a lot at online reviews (which seem to suggest they are all reliable and that it's mostly a Chevy-Ford'ish debate -- subjective and you'll find strong bias for each side). Have handled all of them at local stores and think they all feel good; though have not shot any

Thanks,
    G

CopperWires

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Well, I have shot a remmy 1100/1187 and a Browning Silver. The Browning Silver felt way better to me. I can't tell you specifically why or what made it better, but it just felt good. The grip was good, the action was good, and it just felt easy to shoot. I was knocking down clays with it all day and was very pleased. I wish I could give you advice on the Beretta and Winchester. I just don't know anyone that has those.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I tend to favor Beretta but I would never buy a gun or brand I had not shot before.

Those are all winners in general so the one that fits you the best and you like the best should get the nod. Get help with that if you don't know how to determine good fit because a poor fit will suck big time when wing shooting and shooting clays.

The SX3 continues to win people over.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My Winchester SX2 is my favorite shotgun even though its stock is too long for me. I'll be the SX3 is a winner too.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Have you looked at the Benelli M2?

I have it and the SBE 2 and other than the SBE2 taking 3.5" shells I cant find anything different in the way they shoot.

I Like Firearms

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    I have a SX3 field that shoot the 3.5 as well, It is the best shotgun I have ever owned. 3 days ago we had a clay shooting frenzy (went threw about 1000 shells and 700 birds) Between 8 shotguns that were there everyone loved mine and shot the best with it. My buddies dad has a 3000$ O/U and he shot better with my SX3, Its a extremely versatile gun, I use it for 3 gun, pheasant, duck, clays.. I want to take it turkey hunting! If you live near near Fort Wayne we can go shoot some clays... Did mention you can get an extension tube so it will hold 12 shells... Get it you wont be disappointed...

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Does Winchester make a "Practical" version of the SX3?

Do you know of any way to shorten the stock of an SX2/SX3 without adversely affecting the function (the rod in the stock protrudes almost to the recoil pad and it would have to be shortened too).

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Hi All,

Have been shopping for a 12 gauge semi-auto shotgun. Have found a Beretta Urika 2 for $719, Browning Gold Hunter for $534, Browning Silver Hunter for $500 and a Winchester SX3 for $799

So any strong opinions on the above for trap and pheasant hunting?

Have heard that the Browning / Winchester guns are easier to clean. Have looked a lot at online reviews (which seem to suggest they are all reliable and that it's mostly a Chevy-Ford'ish debate -- subjective and you'll find strong bias for each side). Have handled all of them at local stores and think they all feel good; though have not shot any

Thanks,
    G

Well, sounds like you caught on already, the Ford vs Chevy thing for shotguns is pretty acurate.

If you're sticking with a top 5 manufacturer, Benelli, Browning, Winchester, Remington, Beretta, you're going to do alright.

Honestly, shotguns all fit people a little different, whether you have short arms, long torso, bigger hands, etc, as rhino implied in an earlier post, so the best possible choice is to shoot a round of clays or skeet with them, and try them on for size.

Indiana Gun Club has most of these in stock, and plenty of used guns to try in a live fire scenario. Ask for Phillip, he's a real nice guy and will talk guns with you all afternoon.

If they don't have what you're looking for, PM me, I have all of them except the Reminton 11-87, and I think i could round one up from a friend.

I also have several SxS and O/U to try in Winchester, Browning, and Beretta, if you're thinking about a double gun. I hunt pheasant and duck in 4 states, and use doubles almost all the time. It's easier to break the gun quickly when hopping streams, crossing fences, and gathering in a group at the end of a drive.

Good luck and safe shooting!

farmboy365

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   1
    Dec 22, 2008
    NE Indiana
    I am left handed so I hate the berreta saftey and 500 is vary cheep for a browning silver and that would be my choise of the options givin good luck.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Have found a Beretta Urika 2 for $719
    MMMMM... Beretta... :wwub:

I've had one for 10 years now. I used to shoot over a hundred rounds (1 round being 25 birds/gunshots) of trap every year and it never failed me once. I always had great experiences with it. Won Grand Champion in 4H shotgun, Reserve Grand the next year (forgot I had my improved modified choke in and shot the round of sporting clays, OOPS, didn't do too well on that round, but still only missed Grand Champion by 1 bird). Shot my first deer with it using a 1 3/8 oz slug at 3 yards (that is not a typo, it really was 3 yards) distance. Use it to go rabbit hunting every year.

All in all, its probably had over 10k rounds down the tube and still shoots like it did the day I got it.

I'm not familiar with the Urika U2 but if its the inertia recoil system then its different than my AL390 (gas). The gas systems are a bit challenging to clean, but unless you're anal about cleaning there isn't a need to clean them that often. I would say the worst thing is shooting a lot of slugs through them because you get lead build-up on the stem of the OP rod and I would guess that if you get enough it could cause problems, but I've never been able to shoot that many slugs through it before my shoulder told me to stop. The gas piston and gas cylinder/ports of the only thing that really NEED to be cleaned if it starts malfunctioning, and cleaning those isn't too bad if you aren't anal about getting every little bit of carbon out of the cracks etc.

slcorson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    really hard to beat the sx2 or sx3! if you can find a used berreta or benelli you should give them a handle too!

Bshaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Kokomo
    Auto Shotguns

Thee Winchester SX2 and the Browning Gold Hunter are the same Shotgun
    I have a Gold Hunter and My Brother has an Winchester SX2 He needed some new parts the dealer told Him that the parts are interchangeable and the dealer sold him Browning parts they worked
    I am not sure of all the parts he needed but I know the magazine end cap was one of them

Top Bottom