• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Of all the innovations in handguns, one thing that is missing is a magazine redesign. Am I the only one who hates loading magazines? Besides the money, this is the only thing I dislike about shooting. It seems like the revolver guys got it right for ammo loading and then we took one step back and one step sideways when we went to magazines. Before, it took forever to reload, but it was pretty dang simple. Now, I can change out my magazine super-quick, but have to tear up my fingers reloading the magazines themselves.

When is the magazine revolution coming? Is our only hope UpLULA?

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Anytime anyone tries to redesign magazines they undoubtedly become needlessly complicated and heavy.(Think helical and drum mags.) I assume it will be that way for pistol mags as well. Uplula rocks.:rockwoot:

czar996

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    You bring up a very good point. It is quite a pain to load mags. That is why I have 5 of them for my regular piece. That way when I want to shoot, I can actually shoot!

That should give me something to think about for a get rich quick scheme!

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I thought it was

1) steal underpants
    2) ????
    3) profit

:):

Awsome! Repped for the Underpants Gnomes:):

My favorite part is "Is that all ya got %#ssy?" and the reply "Don't call me a ...."

South Park needs to do a gun control episode. Although they kinda tackle it from time to time.

Sorry for the :hijack:

But to the OP yeah figuring out that number 2 part is the thing!

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    they have plenty of speed loading devices designed to save your fingers. Personally I prefer the cheaper option of bringing my fiance to the range to do the loading.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Maybe I've just masted loading mags, but I never have any finger pain issues... ????

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    manUpLogo.jpg

LOL. Look into buying a mag-reloader. These plastic things that clamp onto the side of the mag and allow you to push the rounds down with a comfortable plastic button.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    There's a pistol that has been out that is magazineless. I think it is a variation of the eaa witness made by tanfoglio in italy. I'll post a link if I find it. It might have been a flop or not really marketed yet.
    I'm guessing it uses the blowback or recoil to operate a linkage in the grip assembly that must feed rounds upward.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Some .22lr mags have little tabs that stick out and let you pull the follower down as you load. Every time i use one of those i ask myself "Self, why arn't ALL magazines made like this? It's SO EASY!"

zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Some .22lr mags have little tabs that stick out and let you pull the follower down as you load. Every time i use one of those i ask myself "Self, why arn't ALL magazines made like this? It's SO EASY!"

Yeah, my dad's MK III is like that and I love it. Not sure why all magazines don't follow along. Perhaps it is more prone to problems?

Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    Yeah, my dad's MK III is like that and I love it. Not sure why all magazines don't follow along. Perhaps it is more prone to problems?

I'm guessing a small plastic tab depressed by a finger nail would most likely not be sufficient to hold down the spring on some hi-cap or double stack mags in higher calibers :dunno:

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    Mitchell's has come up with a pretty neat idea. I have no idea how well it works though.
    Mitchell
    They use a clockwork spring attached to the follower, instead of the traditional wound spring.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    WitnessFCP.jpg

This is called the Witness FCP, it doesn't use a magazine but some sort of sleeve that acts as the chamber and then it gets weirder...

I guess I would try one. Some can fire .38 special (among the other traditional auto rounds). I think they're 6 shots and DA only. So really no advantage over a revolver other than comfortable grip and thin profile.

Top Bottom