• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I dont think you should hang up, it could be a good thing to have the whole thing recorded in some situations.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Tell them what you need, and where to send it. Repeat once if necessary. Hang up.

A lot of damage can be done (in a SD situation) by making a lengthy 9-1-1 call.

And don't neglect practicing to making those calls. You might laugh, but in FoF I've butchered a 9-1-1 call.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Jack, Sylvin, esrice: in the example 911 call on that link, do you think it would gave behooved the caller to have hung up? I had a hard time listening to it on this iPhone + the sound quality was so poor.

The article made some sense. I could easily imagine scenerios where a recording could help and harm you.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    And he didn't even mention how 911 recordings can be artfully edited/manipulated by the mainstream media to try you in the court of public opinion. Add that reason to the list.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Oh ya, let's not forget that once in a blue moon, they actually send you help when you need it... Take off your foils hats and just don't call at all! :):

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Jack, Sylvin, esrice: in the example 911 call on that link, do you think it would gave behooved the caller to have hung up?

Yes.

If he had hung up, he wouldn't have had to divide his attention between the operator and the situation at hand, or answer silly questions like "what kind of gun do you have?"

He also wouldn't have a recording of his situation now bouncing around the internet for all to hear.

In stressful situations, please often say stupid stuff. Even if it was with the best of intentions, you never want to have to explain the stupid stuff you said in a recording to a jury. As one local attorney told me in a recent FoF class "You never want to have to sit on the stand and explain why you lied".

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Good read, thanks for sharing.

Nice find, Jack. Thanks.

I posted a long time ago about a 911 call I made in a weird situation. The article is correct; the operator had no idea what was going on but that didn't stop her from telling me what to and not to do. At least she relayed to the police that I was carrying and had not pulled or exposed my pistol.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Oh ya, let's not forget that once in a blue moon, they actually send you help when you need it... Take off your foils hats and just don't call at all! :):

My three year old granddaughter will fetch my newspaper if I ask her to, but I don't depend upon her for tactical advice.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    just don't call at all!
    This is an interesting concept. I once proposed this exact thing. What if I am involved in a SD shooting (not at home), and I simply don't call it in and, um, leave. Am I even legally responsible to call it in in the first place?

It was an interesting discussion. I learned a couple of finer points of law.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    This is an interesting concept. I once proposed this exact thing. What if I am involved in a SD shooting (not at home), and I simply don't call it in and, um, leave. Am I even legally responsible to call it in in the first place?

I'd think that an investigation of the dead body would be done and if/when it came back to me, I'd sure as hell want my version of the facts (via my lawyer) to be the first one heard (as opposed to whatever the evidence found by someone investigating what they thought was a murder showed.)

Blessings,
    Bill

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville

That's not a good idea. The next dumbest thing would be to try to stick a table knife into an electrical socket.:nailbite:

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My ex wife was a dispatcher and I have taken Emergency Medical Dispatching for EMS/Fire. I have an idea of who I can trust and when Im going to be hanging out in the breeze.

Dispatchers in my area are either married to or an offspring of an officer. Knowing that slant on things should tell you the mindset. Most often their last name was the qualifier for the job. I dont want to slam them since there are a few who do a decent job but one does have to look a bit to find them.

I remember discussing my incident with you folks where I went to defcon 1 on a dumbass knocking on the apt/house that I live in one morning at 4am and I made the call before lock and loading. ANY OTHER AGENCY would have kept me on the line recording what was happening in the back ground like the Zimmerman/Martin shooting, but not the one where I live. She hung up after telling me a squad was on its way which I would think would be the wrong thing to do. If I were an inbound officer to a possible break in and the caller stated he was armed I would want that dispatcher to know EXACTLY where he was in the house at all times and be able to communicate that to me. If I were a prosecutor I think Id tell all the agencies under me to keep all calls recorded for evidence.

After hearing George Zimmerman and the circus its turned out to be I think I will however just hang up.

Top Bottom