• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I'm looking to buy a late model used car. I'm interest in a 2009 Jeep Patriot, but I'm concerned about the CVT auto transmission.
    Please tell me of any knowledge or experience you have with these vehicles and/or CVT transmissions.
    I believe the Jeep Patriot and Compass, and the Dodge Nitro, all have the same drive train.

Thanks for any and all responses.:)

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    I would test drive one to see if you like it. My fiance tried out the patriot when she was looking for a new car and she hated the feel of it. She ended up going with the 09' liberty.

You also might want to check out a new 2010 so that you can get the full warranty (not that it means much anyways, but you may find a killer deal since the 2011's are hitting the lots already.).

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    After an 8" snow couple of years ago, I took out a RAV4, CR-V, RDX, Patriot back-to-back.

Patriot is what I would have bought if I had pulled the trigger. The CR-V was probably the best overall without overspending. But the Patriot could be purchased for about $7,000 less at that time. (not sure now, either way)

I liked that the Patriot let the driver have a wee bit of wheelspin before kicking in traction control. The Honda/Acura you could floor it and not much happened because of the traction control. The Toyota was the worst of the four I took out.

Two sites I would recommend.

Allpar Forums for Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth, and more

and

Jeep Patriot .com

for more advice.

Plenty of youtube videos, too.

The Nitro is not the same platform as the Compass/Patriot/Caliber line. My brother used to work on that line in Belvidere, IL until he retired two years ago.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Wife has a Ford with a CVT. I know it is not the same as the jeep, but for what it is worth we really like the transmission. No problems, very smooth, fuel efficient for the size of the vehicle.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Have you looked at the Liberty? I have a 2006 sport 4x4. It has been a great vehicle. The 3.7 liter V6 has a lot of pep. Does fantastic in the snow, and is also equipped with traction control. I just recently went over 30,000 miles, but I do not drive much.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    From what I can find, the CVT transmission is sealed and it cannot be repaired. If you buy a used Jeep and the CVT goes out, it costs upwards of $7,000 and, since you're not the original owner, there is NO warranty!
    This looks like one to stay away form.
    Anybody have experience that says I'm wrong?

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I think you should get a REAL Jeep. Get a Jeep Wrangler.

Hah! I have a 93 Cherokee with 248K on it and it still runs like a top. If I had to get another 4x4 I would try to find another Cherokee (love the Wrangler but need the convenience of the Cherokee).

I drove rented a Patriot once and did not like it, but don't know what was in it.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Test drove the Patriot today. It drove fine and I found out local transmission shops will work on the CVT's but seldom see them come in for repairs.
    But the Patriot seemed too small; I'm going with something else.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Test drove the Patriot today. It drove fine and I found out local transmission shops will work on the CVT's but seldom see them come in for repairs.
    But the Patriot seemed too small; I'm going with something else.

Don't let that fool you, they're still relatively new. Give them time.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    After a couple of test drives and much discussion The Most Beautiful Woman in the World and I have settled on a used Trailblazer.
    Thanks for everybody's input.:)

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Good choice.

I have a friend with a patriot who has already put 80k miles on it commuting back and forth from Terre Haute. The CVT is smooth but it is LOUD and has gotten louder as it ages.

Top Bottom