• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Newark security guard arrested for making threats against Obama to be arraigned Thursday | State | NewJerseyNewsroom.com -- Your State. Your News.

John Brek, 55, of Linden, who was arrested on Tuesday by Port Authority Police at Newark Airport on charges of making a terroristic threat about President Obama, is expected to be arraigned in court Thursday.
    The video arraignment will take place before Essex County Superior Court Judge Amilkar Velez-Lopez at the Essex County Veterans Courthouse in Newark.

John Brek has been charged with third degree terroristic threat. He is being held in the Essex County Jail in lieu of $100,000 bail. The investigation is continuing.​
    Brek, a Newark Airport security guard, was arrested for making threats against the President on the eve of Obama's campaign visit to New Jersey. Brek was taken into custody after his co-workers reported a conversation they had at an airport coffee cart to authorities.
    A search of Brek's home turned up 43 firearms – although they all appeared to be registered weapons, officials said.
    Authorities did not reveal the nature of Brek's conversation.
    Brek is a Republican and a member of the National Rifle Association, the Newark Star-Ledger reported.

I love this additional info that has nothing to do with anything since it has been stated that "Authorities did not reveal the nature of Brek's conversation."

Professor Thump

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Indy
    Could this be the end of freedom of speech in the US? Am I at risk for discussing anything political on this or any other forum?

It sounds like the press considers being an NRA member and a gun owner as the next best thing to a threat to the president.

Let the debate begin... :popcorn:

inxs

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    Sounds like saying something like "he needs a bag of tar and a bucket of feathers" might get you in trouble...

Mike_M

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Beautiful Milan
    I'm no attorney, but I have to think that unless the reporting coworker has a tape of the conversation, his testimony ain't worth squat. It's getting pretty bad when someone can be arrested for a serious offense based on hear-say evidence.

I just saw a report on Yahoo saying that the Secret Service is being pushed to its limits dealing with an unprecedented number of threats on the President. They are between a rock and a hard place because the are unable to hire more agents simply because they don't have the budget to do so......

Professor Thump

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Indy
    I'm no attorney, but I have to think that unless the reporting coworker has a tape of the conversation, his testimony ain't worth squat. It's getting pretty bad when someone can be arrested for a serious offense based on hear-say evidence.

I just saw a report on Yahoo saying that the Secret Service is being pushed to its limits dealing with an unprecedented number of threats on the President. They are between a rock and a hard place because the are unable to hire more agents simply because they don't have the budget to do so......

I can't even imagine how many threats the SS is trying to verify. Obama isn't making many friends in the US at this point. Of course it doesn't matter if the world court has authority over the US. Is that their ultimate goal? :dunno:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    If I believed in betting, I would bet all my guns that many d***cats made threats against the former administration and they didn't even get reprimanded.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

???? Don't have the budget? Where are you getting that from?
    If you look at US Jobs (the fed website for all hiring) there are ton and tons of Special Agent openings with USSS for all over the country. I recall reading an article in PARADE magazine (comes in Sunday's newspaper) saying that USSS was going to hire between 1,000 to 2,500 new agents within the next 24 months.

One of the issues they have right now is burnout and retirement. Many senior agents are retirment age and leaving and many jr agents are burned out after the long "election campaign" and the expected long one that will be coming. During the past election agents worked for up to 90 days straight on protective details (eg. living out of a suitcase) before getting 3 days off and then doing it all over again. At those levels of work (12+ hour days in some cases as mush as 22 hour days) it takes a toll on the human body, family life, and mental health. No matter the great pay you get to the point where you say it's too much.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Newark security guard arrested for making threats against Obama to be arraigned Thursday | State | NewJerseyNewsroom.com -- Your State. Your News.

John Brek, 55, of Linden, who was arrested on Tuesday by Port Authority Police at Newark Airport on charges of making a terroristic threat about President Obama, is expected to be arraigned in court Thursday.
    The video arraignment will take place before Essex County Superior Court Judge Amilkar Velez-Lopez at the Essex County Veterans Courthouse in Newark.

John Brek has been charged with third degree terroristic threat. He is being held in the Essex County Jail in lieu of $100,000 bail. The investigation is continuing.​
    Brek, a Newark Airport security guard, was arrested for making threats against the President on the eve of Obama's campaign visit to New Jersey. Brek was taken into custody after his co-workers reported a conversation they had at an airport coffee cart to authorities.
    A search of Brek's home turned up 43 firearms – although they all appeared to be registered weapons, officials said.
    Authorities did not reveal the nature of Brek's conversation.
    Brek is a Republican and a member of the National Rifle Association, the Newark Star-Ledger reported.

I love this additional info that has nothing to do with anything since it has been stated that "Authorities did not reveal the nature of Brek's conversation."

We will see a LOT more of this in the near future.

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Could this be the end of freedom of speech in the US? Am I at risk for discussing anything political on this or any other forum?

Making a thread towards the president is a crime the Secret Service doesn't take easily. A Purdue student was arrested, charged and deported after spending some time in the pokey a couple years ago for some posts on a forum against Pres. Bush. While I don't know exactly what he posted it must have been severe enough to raise concerns.

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    Making a thread towards the president is a crime the Secret Service doesn't take easily. A Purdue student was arrested, charged and deported after spending some time in the pokey a couple years ago for some posts on a forum against Pres. Bush. While I don't know exactly what he posted it must have been severe enough to raise concerns.
    i thought bush hating was in style. i assumed if you made threats towards bush that earned you time on oprah and letterman, not in jail.

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    Is making a statement about being hopefull of someone else doing harm to someone considered a threat? A statement like, I wish someone would #######. Or, I'd like to see him #######.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    i thought bush hating was in style. i assumed if you made threats towards bush that earned you time on oprah and letterman, not in jail.

Still going on now;

"Well, I was all for fighting them right here at that moment, you know," Vidal said. "But I couldn't jump into the screen fast enough to kill him off. That's one murder that I missed not committing." Behar didn't oppose his death wish. She responded first by chuckling and then say, "Well, it's too late anyway."

Gore Vidal: Obama 'Too Intelligent' for America; Vidal Adds He Wanted to 'Murder' Bush | NewsBusters.org

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

It sounds like the press considers being an NRA member and a gun owner as the next best thing to a threat to the president.

Let the debate begin... :popcorn:

May very well be. Sounds like democrats putting a period on the end of the republicans 8 year long sentence screaming SEDITION SEDITION every time some one disagreed with Bush or the direction of the war he pre-emptively started.

Top Bottom