• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I am currently looking to buy a tract of land in the southern part of the state, and I live in the north Indy area. I have been looking at tracts ranging from 20 - 100 acres or so to use as a weekend getaway, hunting, etc. We will probably end up building our "dream home" there in 10 - 20 years. I have a few questions that I'm sure someone can answer and help me out.

How do you keep people off your land when you are not there? I know it is going to happen, but I don't want criminals trashing my land when I am not there, obviously. I would put up "No Trespassing" signs, but that's not going to help, I wouldn't think, especially if the criminals know I am only there part of the year.

What other ways are there to deter people from coming on my land? I could put up trail cams, but those are just going to show me people are trespassing. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    I have taken over our family farm and have been in the same situation for the past couple years and can tell you the only true solution is to be there.

Selectively grant hunting privileges. You will find if you allow a couple guys and a couple guys alone to hunt your wooded acreage they can be great allies in making sure property is properly posted and gates are locked etc. Make sure they are local and maybe they are neighbors.

I even went to the lengths of installing a dvr and camera system on the farm house after someone broke into my garage and stole my welding cables.

I am there a couple days a week at least.

Use the property and enjoy it. I think you will find a physical presence and an unpredictable schedule will deter most of the hooligans.

Get to know your local LEOs. and advise of them of the situation.

Don't buy too far away. I am only a little over an hour away which makes day trips easy.

Keep it fun.

hickuleas

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    deep in the woods
    You cannot stop people from trespassing. Like earlier post try to get along with neighbors because you will be the outsider. A gated entrance will stop vehicle traffic but people walking and 4WR's are much harder to stop. 4WR's were the biggest issue on my properties. This issue will be up to you to correct because i found local law enforcement is unwilling or too busy to help. If it gets nasty between you and trespassers remember they can always come back when you aren't there and do damage. I try to find a local and give him hunting rights in exchange for watching property.

inxs

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    You really need to establish a presence. Law enforcement is no help because they can not know who is trespassing and who is not. Post the property anyway for without that you have even less chance. Neighbors can be helpful or the problem....

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    I have 44 acres I'll see you in southern Shelby County. woods and river. But, no place to build. Anymore info please private msg me.

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    As said post it. Spend as much time as possible. Shoot, cut wood, make your presents known. Depending on neighbors decide the persona you wish to be known as. In one case I have an older neighbor who appreciates I bring him wood and that I let him take his grandkids fishing in my creek, He is home all the time retired bored and maybe just nosey :) He will call me anytime he sees a strange vehicle. I have little trouble on that tract. On my other farm ground the neighbors are more sketchy. I have talked in other threads about some of the adventures and wont rehash but in short when dealing with methheads and general thieving low lifes developing the reputation as some crazy, shoot at any sound, raving wild man can work very well. If they dont fear the law well hell make them fear you :) Game cams can also help but in short use the land. dont be "some rich guy from Indy who is never around" who the locals feel welcome to trespass upon.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I live in the southwest part of the state and while the following doesn't detour many folks, a lot of folks respect "Land Leased" signs. Reason is, folks will know you live a ways away, but they don't know if the person leasing it is close or not.

It's a tough one- I hope you have success in your endeavor!

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Too bad you don't live near a big military base.

In NC around Jacksonville, the locals would put a trailer on their land and have a Marine live there for free just act as a caretaker. Same thing in Hawaii. Rich people that had getaway properties on the windward side would have Marines live in their house rent free. Then anytime they were inbound they would call the Marine give him a heads up and he would just go back to the barracks until property owners left again.

In other words it might worth it to have a caretaker live on the property.

IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Somebody got it right. Give hunting rights to a couple people and a couple only. Tell them to protect it like it was their own. Give them signed letters of permission to clear up any confusion with LEO when you're not around. Get to know these guys well, they will be a huge asset to you. If and when you are planning on visiting, let the hunters know that you will be there for x amount of time and that you would like the place to yourself.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    Somebody got it right. Give hunting rights to a couple people and a couple only. Tell them to protect it like it was their own. Give them signed letters of permission to clear up any confusion with LEO when you're not around. Get to know these guys well, they will be a huge asset to you. If and when you are planning on visiting, let the hunters know that you will be there for x amount of time and that you would like the place to yourself.

I live in SW In. and I could help you out with that.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I have done the same thing and issues won't go away until you live there full time, then they will stop for the most part. You will still have some people to deal with after you move, usually during mushroom and deer firearms season.:)

Eric S.S.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Mulberry
    These are all great suggestions that I just recently applied to my land after having 4WL problems and they have worked out great. Love thy neighbor and they'll return in kind.

duff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 19, 2011
    Meet with your local ICO and give him sole permission to hunt, and arrest anyone he finds, and you "will prosecute."

I've known a few land owners that have done that with great success. Just make sure you let them know when you grant another guy permission. Been there done that and I was the other guy:noway: but they didn't have problems with tresspassers, stolen stands, or rouge 4 wheelers either!

Top Bottom