• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    We recently did some remodeling. Due to some contraints on design, one of the doors is set such that the pins are on outside of the room instead of the inside. This is not a door to the outside, but it is one that I like to lock. I am looking at a set of hinges with the pins built so that they cannot be removed. Does anyone have any other methods of securing the hinge pins that they would like to share?

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    Unless it's a nice sturdy wood or metal door with some good reinforcement on the frame and a dead bolt or three, I am not sure altering the hinge pins will offer you much more security. Most doors can be taken down with minimal force, and without having to mess with hinge pins.

Or am I completely missing your point??

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Unless it's a nice sturdy wood or metal door with some good reinforcement on the frame and a dead bolt or three, I am not sure altering the hinge pins will offer you much more security. Most doors can be taken down with minimal force, and without having to mess with hinge pins.

Or am I completely missing your point??

The door is steel and set into concrete so its pretty sturdy, I just don't want someone to be able to remove the pins and then pry it forward out of its frame. I can replace the hinges with ones that are built so that the pins are not removable. I wanted to see if anyone else had any other interesting ideas.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    The door is steel and set into concrete so its pretty sturdy, I just don't want someone to be able to remove the pins and then pry it forward out of its frame. I can replace the hinges with ones that are built so that the pins are not removable. I wanted to see if anyone else had any other interesting ideas.

Ok, that makes total sense. Thanks for the clarification! I am also assuming the hing plates are on the interior and are not visible to from the outside. (Just make sure, cause I have seen it the other way around).

Unfortunately I don't have any tricks or ideas on securing hinge pins. Whatever you determine, even with the hinge pins that cannot be removed, I would reinforce the hing plates. Those are usualy not very weel constructed and are held in to the door jamb and door with a few small screws, which bend and strip with some reasonable force.

What about a secondary internal door behind the first one, even if it is a metal rolling door (think self storage) or a steel screen door (think pawn shop). That would also help keep force from being applied from the outside in. Just a thought.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Ok, that makes total sense. Thanks for the clarification! I am also assuming the hing plates are on the interior and are not visible to from the outside. (Just make sure, cause I have seen it the other way around).

Unfortunately I don't have any tricks or ideas on securing hinge pins. Whatever you determine, even with the hinge pins that cannot be removed, I would reinforce the hing plates. Those are usualy not very weel constructed and are held in to the door jamb and door with a few small screws, which bend and strip with some reasonable force.

What about a secondary internal door behind the first one, even if it is a metal rolling door (think self storage) or a steel screen door (think pawn shop). That would also help keep force from being applied from the outside in. Just a thought.

This door leads to a short hall with three other doors. Those all have the pins on the "correct" side. This one, because of the swing, has to open outwards so the pins are visible. I can get longer pins and just peen them, or I can buy the commercially made ones to replace the existing normal hinges.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    That sounds like your best bet, from an economical and practical security standpoint. Sorry I wasn't much help!

I've looked at commercial ones that are made so that the pins can't be removed unless the door is opened and a little retaining screw is removed and I've looked at some that have a stud that fits between the hinge plates so that even if the hinges are removed the door can't be pried or lifted out of its frame.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    A few thoughts that pop into my head right now are:
    Try recessing the hinges so the pins are back between the door and the frame, this may require some notching of the door or frame or both.
    Weld a spot on the bottom of the pin so that it will not fit through the opening.
    Or perhaps simply place a drop of superglue or epoxy on the pin at the top.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I picked some up at lowes that have the hinge pins that cant be removed. as far as im aware there are no set screws or springs to take them out, you have to have the door open and get to the screws that hold the door to the frame. although in my situation it really wont acomplish much, but the amount of noise one will make trying to get around the door will hopefully be enough to wake me up to greet them with my 870 12 gauge when they get to the other side of the door.

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    the screw holes in both halfs of the hinge should line up with each other when closed. you can simply remove a screw from each hinge and replace it with a screw with a smaller head and leave it protruding from the hinge. remove the screw that lines up with the screw on the oppisite side. when you close the door the protruding screw will enter the empty hole. should you remove the pin the door still will not slide off the hinge. hope it makes sense.

Boiler74

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    the screw holes in both halfs of the hinge should line up with each other when closed. you can simply remove a screw from each hinge and replace it with a screw with a smaller head and leave it protruding from the hinge. remove the screw that lines up with the screw on the oppisite side. when you close the door the protruding screw will enter the empty hole. should you remove the pin the door still will not slide off the hinge. hope it makes sense.

You could take this idea one step further and weld a lug on one side of the hinge and drill a corresponding hole on the other side of the hinge. Depending on the size of the lug you could even have it go into the jamb a bit. Would act like the lugs on the hinge side of safes.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute

Yes! That would duplicate the function of the commercially produced one.

Top Bottom