• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bored184

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    I am looking for a new scope for my Savage 110 in 223, this will be "go to" varmint rifle so it will see use from 50 - 200 yards. I have been out of the game for a while so there are a few new manufactures I am not familiar with. My budget is $250.00 but can probably be bumped up to $300.00.

DepTaylor

Plinker
    Rating - 97%
    32   1   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Westfield
    I could not be a bigger fan of Vortex or Alan. The last 15 or so optics I have purchased have been Vortex. Anyone can sell you an optic, but Alan will help you make the right decision. If you call Alan and say you have a $300 budget, and you give him your requirements and he has something for $175 that fits your budget, he will let you know that. Selling a more expensive optic is not his goal. Helping his customers make an educated purchase is. That is why I will never buy a new piece of glass from anybody but Alan.

+1 for AA Optics

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I could not be a bigger fan of Vortex or Alan. The last 15 or so optics I have purchased have been Vortex. Anyone can sell you an optic, but Alan will help you make the right decision. If you call Alan and say you have a $300 budget, and you give him your requirements and he has something for $175 that fits your budget, he will let you know that. Selling a more expensive optic is not his goal. Helping his customers make an educated purchase is. That is why I will never buy a new piece of glass from anybody but Alan.

+1 for AA Optics

I have used Optics Planet in the past, but if I have learned anything at all on INGO it is that my next optics purchase will be from Alan. Hopefully, not too awfully long from now for my INGO AR lower build.

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    I purchased three last year all under $175 shipped. One from 24 hour campfire, one from Graybeards, and another from Accurate shooters. I'm sure there are other sites that one could find that has decent prices.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    A certain auction site usually has high prices on the used Leupolds.
    Once in a while a clean one at a normal price comes along, but don't hold your breath.
    I have scored 2 in the last few yrs, one recently. No dice on a 8X w AO though (but I still watch).

Did score a 4-12X AO Leupold a few yrs back, like new.......for 200. But that was at a shop.

Do some brands have better coatings? Are newer scopes better than some only a few yrs old in that regard?
    Yup.

But they look like sheite on the gun. And I can't stand that.
    Plus I rather dislike new style reticles and a bunch of stuff................regular Duplex or CPC is what I like.

So while some import stuff may be better in light transmission, glare, color phase and what else............

I don't freakin' care. Fairly new VX2 has killed a lot of stuff for me and that I think is good enough.
    And my rifles looke more pretty in the pictures............well at least they do to me.

Don't really care if a tacticool isn't impressed.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

+1 for AA Optics

Exactly. I went and looked at scopes and asked about the razor gen2. Alan looked at me and said, "You don't need it". That is the kind of person I want to deal with.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    A certain auction site usually has high prices on the used Leupolds.
    Once in a while a clean one at a normal price comes along, but don't hold your breath.
    I have scored 2 in the last few yrs, one recently. No dice on a 8X w AO though (but I still watch).

Did score a 4-12X AO Leupold a few yrs back, like new.......for 200. But that was at a shop.

Do some brands have better coatings? Are newer scopes better than some only a few yrs old in that regard?
    Yup.

But they look like sheite on the gun. And I can't stand that.
    Plus I rather dislike new style reticles and a bunch of stuff................regular Duplex or CPC is what I like.

So while some import stuff may be better in light transmission, glare, color phase and what else............

I don't freakin' care. Fairly new VX2 has killed a lot of stuff for me and that I think is good enough.
    And my rifles looke more pretty in the pictures............well at least they do to me.

Don't really care if a tacticool isn't impressed.

Good point. Leupold by far makes the shiniest scope on the market. In the classic looks department no one comes close. You everyone has to reside for them self's whats more important, pretty, or performance.

NightFisher

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I agree. For me its about 65% how the gun LOOKS, I use my guns mostly on the internet. 15% is how it shoots, 25% is how my ears like it, and 11% is how it feels next to me in bed at night.

But more seriously, I have not been disappointed by the higher end, lower magnification Weavers. I like em.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    With Leupold, you either:
    1) Pay extra for the same performance with a gold ring
    2) Pay the same and get less performance with a gold ring

It's your money. Do with it as you wish. Leupold makes good scopes, you just pay out the nose for them when comparing other scopes that give you the same performance.

What performance level do I need?
    Running a Leupold has never cost me a critter.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    In my most recent search for a scope for the new rifle I'm running into the same problem. The graffitti on these new scopes looks like some crapola on a Phillipine Island 1911. Logos everywhere, writing bold and bright. Nasty to say the least.
    Might as well paint the things with green and hot pink fluorescent paint.

Top Bottom