• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jzwhts

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Mooresville
    I keep going back and forth, should I put a scope on one of my old .22 rifles??? What do you think, and suggestions. Plinking and tree rats would be the main uses.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    If your thinking of a walmart special scope stick with the Irons. It doesnt sound like you NEED a scope, but its kind of your call. A scope defintally wont hurt as long as you buy a decent one.

jzwhts

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Mooresville
    I think most of my experience with scopes has been with budget junk. I wear glasses and do pretty well with them and the iron. I think I want to set up my old Winchester model 77 with a scope. It is a real sweety. I have several others for just iron sight plinking.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I think most of my experience with scopes has been with budget junk. I wear glasses and do pretty well with them and the iron. I think I want to set up my old Winchester model 77 with a scope. It is a real sweety. I have several others for just iron sight plinking.

If you want to do it, then go for it. There is defintally no reason not to. I would recomend spending atleast 119 on this

Vortex Optics - Crossfire II 2-7x32 V-Plex Rimfire

Im assuming you wont be shooting much if any past 50 yds?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    If you have to adapt an old rifle for a scope I would just get something that is Optics ready. Drilling and tapping something old does away with the cool factor to me.

Most if not all model 77 winchesters have the dovetails for scope mounting. Sounds like you have a likely winner in that one.

Mount the scope low. I like Rimfire tree rat guns in the 2-7 or 3-9 range. Make sure it is parrelax adjusted for rimfire or AO,

One of my favorties older scopes was the leopold M8 6 power fixed with target dot. I used to pick them up in the 100 dollar range but it has been a while since I have even seen one for sale. Not a true rimfire scope but I sent a couple in to leopold and had the custom shop redo them.

Can I ask you if it has the detachable 8 round mag or the 15 shot tube. I have the tube mag one made early in production I think. I bent the tube once and it took a long time to get a replacement. I like the load once shot all week tube but the mag would be nice since I now travel in a car instead of walk to the woods.
    EDIT
    Allen above posted the fine crossfire 2-7. Ask him he hates fixed power scopes. So just leave the M8 leo's around for me to buy and get one of his. The glass on the new ones are better anyway.

junior438

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    redkey
    its your gun, if you want to go ahead and put one on. i have marlin model 60, have had it for 10 years now. after year 3 i put a 3x9x40 on it. i done it cause thats what i wanted.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    This is my opinion, from my experience, I do not claim it to be the only "right" answer. A nice scope is a great thing and for target shooting and longer shots makes life a lot easier.

If you are definately using your rifle mainly for squirels and other up close varmints, you may rethink a scope. I always found a scope on a .22 too easy to loose track of the close distance game if it moves. With a scope, once you loose track of the game, by the time you find it again, it is no longer a good shot.

For up close and quick shot hunting, I like to mount a rear peep sight (Cheap one like a Lyman or Williams) and take the target aperature off. The hole that is left when you unscrew the eyepiece makes a ghost ring in the back that does not block hardly any vision so it it easy to stay on your game as it moves around.

I solved my problem by having a .22 with a peep sight AND a .22 with a scope. You can't beat an excuse to buy another firearm.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom