• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I've only hunted where I could have either a permanent tree stand or blind before. I intend to do some bow hunting in Morgan Monroe this season.

How the heck am I supposed to get up there? Seems like screw in tree steps would work best for hauling in/out. But I've heard mixed things on whether or not the DNR allows this in MMSF.

And the strap on ladder things are more cash than I have. Plus, they look like a huge PITA to haul in and out of the woods.

Is there something I'm missing? What do you guys do?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Before I had my own ground to hunt on I used a lock on stand and one of those stacking climbing sticks tied to the tree. Locks on public ground are a must.

devious169

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Earth and you?
    Get a light climber. Check Craigslist or armslist. You can usually find a pretty good deal on stands, blinds etc..etc ..... but on the other hand you might be buying stolen property. I've had at least 5 ladder and hang on stands cut off of trees over the past few years.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Summit or Lone Wolf climber. Can be reasonable if bought used. New, they come with a good harness. PLEASE! USE THE HARNESS!

One fall can end your hunting career. It pays to buy quality safety equipment.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    A climber is your best option, especially at MMSF. Lots of big, strait hardwoods most everywhere.
    I've been hunting there off and on for the last 30 years and mobility is the key. You can hunt in places that you will not see another person for many trips and your next visit, a camo parade, right past your spot. It's gonna be a long day if you need to make a last minute move with a hanging stand and climbing sticks.
    Deer get pushed around alot in these S.F. properties, they'll run ridges one day and bottoms the next with what seems to be no rhyme or reason. The last point I'll make in favor of a climber is the option to go higher, lower or on the other side of a tree you're already in, it sucks when you're in the wrong place at the right time.
    Good luck to ya this hunting season.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Any tips on good places to hunt in the area? I'm pretty familiar since I run the trails about every other weekend out there. But always have my ears open to advice from people more familiar with the area.

Thanks for the advice on stands to everyone. Looks like I'll be trying to find a decent used climber on Craigslist. Hopefully climbers for sale aren't stolen. Doesn't seem like you leave them up and vulnerable for stealing for the most part. I'd be a bit weary of buying a hanger for that reason.

A climber is your best option, especially at MMSF. Lots of big, strait hardwoods most everywhere.
    I've been hunting there off and on for the last 30 years and mobility is the key. You can hunt in places that you will not see another person for many trips and your next visit, a camo parade, right past your spot. It's gonna be a long day if you need to make a last minute move with a hanging stand and climbing sticks.
    Deer get pushed around alot in these S.F. properties, they'll run ridges one day and bottoms the next with what seems to be no rhyme or reason. The last point I'll make in favor of a climber is the option to go higher, lower or on the other side of a tree you're already in, it sucks when you're in the wrong place at the right time.
    Good luck to ya this hunting season.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I've used Summit climbing treestands and HSS harnesses for years. Killed tons of deer with no issues. The Summit is one of many very good aluminum climbers that are all welded construction (= quiet and strong), lots of them out there used and a used Summit is still a very good stand.

I also use a bow holder (Products Detail) by third hand archery, permanently mounts to the stand - have NEVER had a bow come out while climbing or descending. Eliminates the need for a retrieve rope AND I've killed deer while ascending and descending because my bow is right there at my hand.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    This is the Summit Viper I use:

su81120_viper.jpg

Notice the seat has a bar in front. I can't use this stand if I'm hunting with my longbow or recurve, so if you're hunting traditional you'll definitely need the bowhunter version without the bar. Why the bar? It's nice and easy to climb because you can sit on the bar to raise the standing platform. The bowhunter version is more difficult to climb. I set the seat a little low and stand for shots with the compound bow, so I can have the model with the bar - the bar is nice for gun season makes a dandy rest.

More things to consider while picking out a climbing tree stand.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I think I'll go with a version with a bar since I'll be using it mainly with my compound bow, and some with my shotgun. Thanks for your thoughts on that.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    My thoughts on tree stands are that they are a useful tool from time to time, but that they can be highly overrated and you can spend WAY too much money on the things for what they actually deliver. 2 or 3 simple, simple stands in good locations are better than 1 "Super Lounger Fat Dude Supreme" in [what you thought was] the best location.

I'm not against ambush, but it's far from the only method, is the least interesting, and you also don't have to be in a tree to execute one.

-Nate

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    My thoughts on tree stands are that they are a useful tool from time to time, but that they can be highly overrated and you can spend WAY too much money on the things for what they actually deliver. 2 or 3 simple, simple stands in good locations are better than 1 "Super Lounger Fat Dude Supreme" in [what you thought was] the best location.

I'm not against ambush, but it's far from the only method, is the least interesting, and you also don't have to be in a tree to execute one.

-Nate

I've had ladder stands, lock on stands, permanent stands, ground blinds and climbing stands. For deer in Indiana I opt for the climbing stand because I can easily carry it where I'm going, even if I don't know where that is, climb virtually anywhere I want any time I want, and hunt. I often take my gear on a mid season scouting trip just to hunt a hot spot while I'm there finding it.

I like ground blinds for deer in Indiana during the coldest part of gun season in December just to get out of the cold. I also like them for rainy days. But, for the most part, I have abandoned lock on stands and ladder stands because of the set up time and lack of mobility.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County

-Nate

On spot and stalk, or still hunting, I prefer my long bow or recurve and YES it's exciting and super challenging. I've done it and still do from time to time.

Top Bottom