• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I know this is going to be sacrilege to some but I'm looking for a reliable red-dot for my new AR. I've been looking at bushnell and some of the sight mark stuff, but some guidance is appreciated. I don't have a ton of money to spend on it hence the "budget" in the title. Being a father of three and having a stay at home wife has taken a toll on the gun budget, but family needs come first. So, who has some knowledge to lay on me? Other suggestions aside from the a-fore mentioned brands are welcome as well.

hopcam

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I know this is going to be sacrilege to some but I'm looking for a reliable red-dot for my new AR. I've been looking at bushnell and some of the sight mark stuff, but some guidance is appreciated. I don't have a ton of money to spend on it hence the "budget" in the title. Being a father of three and having a stay at home wife has taken a toll on the gun budget, but family needs come first. So, who has some knowledge to lay on me? Other suggestions aside from the a-fore mentioned brands are welcome as well.

I'd take a look at the Vortex Strikefire. I have one on a 15-22 and I like it a lot.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I find it difficult to justify lots of money on a red dot, since I can hit anything I want with irons on my rifles at any distance very quickly.

I do have a couple of red dot sights, one is a Bushnell and one is a Ultra-dot. Both work and are reliably adjustable and don't break the bank.They are both sitting on the shelf because I can hit any target with irons very quickly. Plus, I never have to worry about batteries.

This probably doesn't help much.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Vortex SPARC gets my vote. I don't know what your budget is, but I'm not a wealthy person myself and I find the price for the product is great. From what I've heard Vortex's warranty is outstanding and that's something I considered before I ordered it.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    How much is your life worth to you?

It's a firearm, not a toy, save the chinese stuff for your airsoft guns.

Irons will do anything anyone needs to do until they can afford some decent optics. Plenty of US made leupolds under the $500 mark. Used aimpoint around $300. Can even pick up a trijicon acog used once in awhile for $600.

I find it difficult to justify lots of money on a red dot, since I can hit anything I want with irons on my rifles at any distance very quickly.

I do have a couple of red dot sights, one is a Bushnell and one is a Ultra-dot. Both work and are reliably adjustable and don't break the bank.They are both sitting on the shelf because I can hit any target with irons very quickly. Plus, I never have to worry about batteries.

Red dots don't benefit everyone over irons. Depends on your eye sight and what you're shooting at, as well as the quality of the optic.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Having kids, I understand where you are coming from. There are two budget red dots that I can recommend without hesitation. Good for training and deciding if a red dot is what you want.

S.P.O.T. Del-Ton, Inc. AR-15 Optics - S.P.O.T

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_Micro_Dot_With_Kill_Flash_ADT1_B_p/md08adt1-10bundle.htm

Primary Arms has great customer support and they have cheaper models with various features.

I own both types. if you want to meet at Elwood Conservation Club, you can try them out.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    if your budget it south of 100 bucks go to the primary arms sight and pick your reddot. dont look anywhere else including the sightmark and bushnells.

if your budget is south of 200 dollars look at the vortex strikefire or sparc. after the 200 dollar mark you get to the point of deminishing returns. deminishing returns means that yes the aimpoint is better, but it is not 2-2.5x better.

drop me a line if i can be of any assistance i have a pretty good inventory of reddots right now

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Vortex & Primary Arms (great customer service!!)

^^ Everyone in the know will tell you the same thing. You can't really go cheaper than these without getting junk when it comes to red dots.

This would be my recommendation as well. But take what I say with a grain of salt because I don't have an optic on my gun. Sloughfoot had the right answer.

Citizen711

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Fishers
    You may be tempted by the "affordable" products from the likes of NCStar. Avoid them. They really are crap. From all I've seen and read, the Vortex and Primary Arms stuff is some of the best bang for your buck you will find.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    I have a Vortex Strikefire co-witnessed to BUIS on my AR. It has been a good scope and came with a screw in doubler. Yes, I would have liked to have had an Eotech, Aimpoint or ACOG, but with a kid in college and the very real threat in 2010 of having to close my business, those were just not an option.

At some point, it will be replaced, but until then, it has been a good value and preformed well for the money. If you are mounting it on a flat top, get the higher rings.

Dirty Steve

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    I am looking into a budget optic as well, but only for no light / low light conditions where I would not be able to see my irons on my AR clearly. I have also thought about going with a Trigicon front sight post.

Top Bottom