• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    I have a new galco combat master for my new n frame smith, and it is pretty stiff. I can holster the gun ok, but drawing the gun is impossible. I will break my belt loops before the holster lets go. I have to hold the holster with one hand while drawing with the other. That doesn't work for me.

What can I do to the leather inside of the holster to Soften up the leather so it will not hold so tight? I tried some leather boot wax stuff that keeps my boots soft and waterproof, but the holster is so dry and stiff that it doesn't soak it in.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Contrary to what you think you need to do about "softening the leather", you REALLY don't want to put softening agents on it.

Also, you never want to store your firearm inside a holster...BUT... for a break-in period of a few weeks, slip your gun in a plastic bag (a thin one, like a WalMart bag) and leave it holstered over night. This will not only form/stretch things a little to a degree with a little breathing room...it will protect the finish of your gun from the chemicals/acids in that newly tanned hide.

Grump01

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Madison County
    I have used the heavier plastic bags that some holsters have come in. Wrap your unloaded gun in one or two of them and put it in the holster for a few days. When you take it out it should be easier to put in and out. You might also dampen the inside of the holster using water in a pump spray bottle first and leave until dry. It doesn't take as much extra thickness as you might think to stretch one. Galco also sells on their website a lubricant "DRAW EZ" you can put inside of a holster.

longhuntr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    back when Dinosaurs walked the earth and everyone carried revolvers,there was a standard way to form stiff duty holsters.soak the holster in rubbing alcohol.let it drain. oil the gun well, and fit the holster around it.leave it overnite to dry. the next day,remove the gun,make sure the holster is dry, and rub on some leather cream/wax.the gun won't rust overnight if you oil it, or better yet, cover it with car paste wax.you might get a small amount of dye bleed from the holster, but it will be neglible, if it is good quality. no, do not put the gun and holster in the alcohol bottle, and, no do not drink the remainder.I got this from Bill Jordan, an old time border patrolman, and author of No 2nd Place Winner.

Toolepqk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.3%
    52   2   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    I just got a new holster that was also very stiff. I tried a plastic bag but it wasn't enough, I ended up wrapping it in 2 bags and left it overnight. It was perfect after that.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    back when Dinosaurs walked the earth and everyone carried revolvers,there was a standard way to form stiff duty holsters.soak the holster in rubbing alcohol.let it drain. oil the gun well, and fit the holster around it.leave it overnite to dry. the next day,remove the gun,make sure the holster is dry, and rub on some leather cream/wax.the gun won't rust overnight if you oil it, or better yet, cover it with car paste wax.you might get a small amount of dye bleed from the holster, but it will be neglible, if it is good quality. no, do not put the gun and holster in the alcohol bottle, and, no do not drink the remainder.I got this from Bill Jordan, an old time border patrolman, and author of No 2nd Place Winner.

This is how we did it. When they issued us level 3 retention holsters and semi-auto pistols, it didn't work with them. And really was not needed.

The other way is to ride your horse with the pistol on your side through some weather for a week or so.

Probably not too many horsemen on here though...?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom