• jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I'm looking for an air compressor to do the following:

• when I clean my long guns especially after a water bath due to corrosive ammo (used once a month)
    • blow up the occasional bike tire, garden wagon, and generator caddy tires (used once a season)
    • use when I use an air brush to duracoat a gun (used once a year)
    • add air to my van and passenger car (used monthly)
    I got a coupon in the mail from Harbor Freight for this compressor for $40.
    Pancake Air Compressor - 3 Gallon, 100 PSI
    1/3 Horsepower, 3 Gallon, 100 PSI Oilless Pancake Air Compressor

Will it do all of the above? If not what should I look for size wise?
    Don't want to spend a lot on this item as it won't get a lot of use I think.
    Thanks!

-Jedi

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    It will do all of the above. It will struggle with the air brush, but you will have to let it catch up.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I'm looking for an air compressor to do the following:

• when I clean my long guns especially after a water bath due to corrosive ammo (used once a month)
    • blow up the occasional bike tire, garden wagon, and generator caddy tires (used once a season)
    • use when I use an air brush to duracoat a gun (used once a year)
    • add air to my van and passenger car (used monthly)
    I got a coupon in the mail from Harbor Freight for this compressor for $40.
    Pancake Air Compressor - 3 Gallon, 100 PSI
    1/3 Horsepower, 3 Gallon, 100 PSI Oilless Pancake Air Compressor

Will it do all of the above? If not what should I look for size wise?
    Don't want to spend a lot on this item as it won't get a lot of use I think.
    Thanks!

-Jedi
    That should last you a while. It will do everything you are asking, although I am not sure on what an Airbrush needs to operate well. You will notice that on larger Vehicle tires it will take a considerable amount of time to air from a complete flat...

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    That will work. The oil-less compressors won't work forever, but if the price is right it'll work for long enough to be worth it. If your airgun is a High Volume Low Pressure (HVLP) gun, you'll probably wish the 3 gallon pancake accumulator tank was bigger, but it'll probably get the job done.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    It will also struggle with the blow off gun. 3 gallon tanks are typically used for nail guns which only require short bursts of air. If you realize that before you buy and you're willing to deal with it then I say go for it.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    The vehicle tires would be for a dodge caravan and intrepid car.
    So a larger "tank" would be better for using the compressor for blowing off water from an AK and all it's parts.

-Jedi

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I have a small (3.6 gal I think) compressor that I use for airing up tires, gun cleaning, blowing dust out of the garage. It would do everything you listed, but you really need a bigger tank. I use an impact driver, grinder, whiz wheel, quite a bit, and for that I use my big tank. The small one is good for airing up a tire on the mower way back at the back of the yard, where I don't have enough air hose to reach. That's where it always seems to be needed.:):

voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    Are the Harbor Freight brands worth buying? I've looked into getting one several times but am afraid of quality issues.
    So, with compressors, do you get what you pay for or are they all comparable regardless of brand name?

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Are the Harbor Freight brands worth buying? I've looked into getting one several times but am afraid of quality issues.
    So, with compressors, do you get what you pay for or are they all comparable regardless of brand name?
    I have several Chicago pneumatic airtools, and they have held up fine. I have a grinder at work that I use everyday, and it does what it's supposed to do. I cannot speak for the compressors, but I have a few different electric tools from HF as well, and have had no problems. My bench grinder is used regularly, and is 3 or 4 years old, with no issues.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    If you have time, go to Lowes.com or which ever stores you would visit in person or buy from. Check out their customer reviews for each one. You will have to figure out who knows what they are talking about and the ones that don't to get the info.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    The tank size will pretty much go hand in hand with a hp rating. Cheaper compressors are oilless, they are much noisier and less durable than oiled compressors. Buying a compressor from HF is a crap shoot, it might last 6months, it might last 10 years. They have poor quality control so you never know which one you will get, but it will be very loud. Emglo used to be the standard in small contractor type oiled compressors. They manufactured many that were rebaged for other brands. They were bought out by DeWalt some time ago.

A oiled compressor will usually last decades unless overheated or abused. I would recommend yard sales and craigslist shopping.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom