• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • barryG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Carmel, IN
    Ron at His and Her Target Sports mentioned that the restrictions on Short Barreled Shotguns in Indiana was going to be overturned soon. Is there any validity to it or is it just gun shop talk?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Ron at His and Her Target Sports mentioned that the restrictions on Short Barreled Shotguns in Indiana was going to be overturned soon. Is there any validity to it or is it just gun shop talk?

I'm not aware of anything official, but do know of some back-channel stuff going on that could eventually lead to that. And no, I am not at liberty to discuss. :shady:

Really, it would be a simple matter of making the SBS language mirror the machine gun language in the Indiana Code; that is, it's illegal except if it is registered as required by federal law. Not so much changing or rewriting as removing an inconsistency. ;) All we'd need is the right legislator to champion the cause. Of course, if Pat Bauer has anything to say about it, such a measure would likely never see the light of day. :rolleyes: But we got the lifetime LTCH and the carry in state parks provisions passed, so hope springs eternal...

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Yeah, if there ever were an asinine law, considering what we CAN have...

The SBS law is it. That, and automatic knives.

Can own a machine gun...and I can carry about my person as many handguns as I have the capability to carry... But heaven forbid I have an automatically opening knife! (or throwing star...ahem)

yenningcomity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    :rolleyes: But we got the lifetime LTCH and the carry in state parks provisions passed, so hope springs eternal...

Not to thread jack but did I miss something?
    I was in clifty falls yesterday and the map clearly stated that guns had to be locked in a box, unloaded, or used for an approved park activity. So where does this carry in parks bit come in?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Not to thread jack but did I miss something?
    I was in clifty falls yesterday and the map clearly stated that guns had to be locked in a box, unloaded, or used for an approved park activity. So where does this carry in parks bit come in?

Clifty Falls is managed by the Army Corps of Engineers and is therefore Federally-managed property and off-limits. Otherwise, for State Parks, the DNR administrative rule (NOT LAW) banning firearms was removed by Gov. Daniels effective in 2006.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Clifty Falls is managed by the Army Corps of Engineers and is therefore Federally-managed property and off-limits. Otherwise, for State Parks, the DNR administrative rule (NOT LAW) banning firearms was removed by Gov. Daniels effective in 2006.

You're thinking about Falls of the Ohio.

Clifty Falls SP is just another run-of-the-mill State Park. Handing out old literature that doesn't reflect the 2006 change in administrative rules.

-J-

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I'm not aware of anything official, but do know of some back-channel stuff going on that could eventually lead to that. And no, I am not at liberty to discuss. :shady:

Really, it would be a simple matter of making the SBS language mirror the machine gun language in the Indiana Code; that is, it's illegal except if it is registered as required by federal law. Not so much changing or rewriting as removing an inconsistency. ;) All we'd need is the right legislator to champion the cause. Of course, if Pat Bauer has anything to say about it, such a measure would likely never see the light of day. :rolleyes: But we got the lifetime LTCH and the carry in state parks provisions passed, so hope springs eternal...

The state park thing was within the DNR and the House never saw it, and IIRC, the LLTCH went through with Bosma as Speaker. We definitely need Bauer gone. It would be very nice to see yet another law that gets in the way of the citizens and serves no good purpose removed from the books.

Blessings,
    Bill

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    You're thinking about Falls of the Ohio.

Clifty Falls SP is just another run-of-the-mill State Park. Handing out old literature that doesn't reflect the 2006 change in administrative rules.

-J-

I'm not thinking of the Falls of Ohio (never been there), but that doesn't mean I'm not mis-remembering the Clifty Falls bit. I was sure I saw an ACOE sign there the last time I went. Maybe I'm thinking of another park.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I'm not thinking of the Falls of Ohio (never been there), but that doesn't mean I'm not mis-remembering the Clifty Falls bit. I was sure I saw an ACOE sign there the last time I went. Maybe I'm thinking of another park.

Other than Falls of the Ohio, all other state-park / ACoE properties in Indiana are associated with managed reservoirs.

You might've seen a sign on or near the Jefferson Proving Ground, which the ACoE is in charge of due to it being a former military installation.

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008

I thought Obama signed the bill into law that allowed carrying in National Parks provided you're allowed to carry in the state they're in. Where's the difference?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I thought Obama signed the bill into law that allowed carrying in National Parks provided you're allowed to carry in the state they're in. Where's the difference?

The difference is State Parks aren't the same as ACoE-managed lands/reservoirs aren't the same as National Parks aren't the same as National Forests...

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Other than Falls of the Ohio, all other state-park / ACoE properties in Indiana are associated with managed reservoirs.

You might've seen a sign on or near the Jefferson Proving Ground, which the ACoE is in charge of due to it being a former military installation.

I just remembered, it was Lieber State Recreation Area, specifically the dam near the entrance (not the entire park). There are signs there stating that it's managed by the ACOE.

barryG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Carmel, IN
    OK, so if I am reading thils right, I can carry an SBS in a State Park as long as it is concealed.

Patiently waiting for change.

LOL!

Thanks for the replies to my original question. After that, I really don't care which direction the thread goes :)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom