• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    So, I'm starting the planning stages of my first AR build. Fact: I've never even shot one to this point, but I plan on getting my hands on several different ones before I start buying anything so that I have a better understanding of what I really want. I doubt I'll be able to shoot any SBR's but have several options for putting rounds thru some AR's.

But my question is, should I consider building a SBR for my first AR, or stick with something full-length? I'm new to NFA (and AR's) and have been doing a little research, and I understand the process/tax, etc. It's something that I'm interested in regardless of whether or not it's this particular build. I just don't know which direction to start researching more. Any help would be appriciated, thank in advance INGO.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I don't understand the SBR thing, don't hate, just don't get it. I would not discourage from going NFA though. Build the rifle you will love and shoot! Don't build a safe queen! Why not build a fun shoot and looker then put a can on it?

in812

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    well it depends if you plan on keeping it forever used sbr's are hard to sell but fun to shoot !
    I have sbr in 9mm and 223 if you want to shoot one sometime

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    +1 for Shooter521 on this. The rule for AR's - "Buy your first, build the rest." Besides, having a manufactured AR platform will let you get more familiar with it without having to buy the stamp. You may decide you like 7.62x39, .308, etc, better than 5.56, and you won't be stuck with an SBR that you can't sell.

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    +1 for Shooter521 on this. The rule for AR's - "Buy your first, build the rest." Besides, having a manufactured AR platform will let you get more familiar with it without having to buy the stamp. You may decide you like 7.62x39, .308, etc, better than 5.56, and you won't be stuck with an SBR that you can't sell.

+1:)

Outlaw-One

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Depends on what your gonna use it for. If you wanna become familiar with the AR platform, I say buy a standard DD or BCM. Save the money for an SBR for the next one.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    if you want a suppressor then go with an SBR. if you dont ever plan on getting a suppressor then what's the point? other than the cool or more like the fad factor. no one here that gets an SBR is gonna be needing it to clear their vehicle because they are riding around with it in their lap (and if you ever do need it for that down the road (shtf) I doubt you will care about the stamp ;).

buy a used full size AR so you get a good deal, then down the road you can SBR it or just build an SBR. 1 is none and 2 is 1 ;)

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I agree with the consensus here, SBR might be a good idea for a second AR.

You dont want your ONLY rifle to be

A: Loud.
    B: paperwork intensive to take out of state
    C: Loud
    D: Did I mention loud?

Also on the 6 o clock news.

"A Indianapolis man shoots home invader with a sawed off rifle equipped with a SILENCER, is this man a simple homeowner? Or did this simple burgler stumble into the home of a professional assasin? our reporter Tom Grigsby has more."

:dunno:

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    I say go for your first one. Buy a normal >16" one, and do all the paperwork for the SBR. By the time you get it back, you will be comfortable with the AR platform (and more than likely have a second one already) and be well in the grasp of black-rifle-sickness.

Its what I did, and ended up having another 3 AR's pending by the time the paperwork from the 1st showed up. The only caveat is be VERY careful about the # of lowers vs pistol/SBR uppers. More than one short upper (without a corresponding pistol/registered lower) and you have a problem on your hands.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009

"A Indianapolis man shoots home invader with a sawed off rifle equipped with a SILENCER, is this man a simple homeowner? Or did this simple burgler stumble into the home of a professional assasin? our reporter Tom Grigsby has more."

There is no paperwork to take a silencer out of state.

In my opinion a SBR is not worth it. Either silence it or go full auto. Paperwork and cost is the same.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    In my opinion a SBR is not worth it. Either silence it or go full auto. Paperwork and cost is the same.

I disagree. SBR for me was more of a learning experience about NFA. Its simple to do, and you can get used to the paperwork/time lines on your own time without needing to involve anyone else. With a silencer or full auto you need to involve someone else (as you can't for the most part make these).

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth

wow lol d*mn news people.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I had the pleasure of meeting HighStrung at the shop today, and talking his ear off about ARs. Hopefully I left him better off than when he walked in, rather than just :scratch:

;)

Top Bottom