• ...and so much more!
  • Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Could the info simply be steel stamped onto the AR lower? My next 2 lowers are in process of becoming SBRs, nothing started yet on these 2, just next in line.

But while looking over the 2 DS lowers I noticed that everything else is steel stamped, so could I simply do this on the opposite side of the mag well? I actually got the first thought while stamping "Property of the US Govt." and a fixture # on a couple of fixtures we just machined.

Of course I would have to adhere to the size and depth guidelines. We have all types of stamp guides/ fixtures so Im sure I could stamp them all at once and keep things lined up.... its good enough for Govt. work. ;)

Just curious, has anyone else ever done this personally or seen them done this way?

hotrodtba

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    Ossian
    Yes you could stamp them, but it won't look good. I think most AR lowers are roll marked, not just stamped. A little more refined process, and it is done before the annodizing. If you steel stamp them, it will crack/chip the annodizing and not look good. If looks don't matter to you, have at it. It won't cost you anything, which is a plus.

sp3worker

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    As hotrodtba said the factory marked lowers are roll marked before anodizing. I've noticed even when engraving on anodized/hardcoated parts some flaking occurs. I have seen stamped in info on a few guns though, not nearly as nice looking as engraving IMO.

SCriswell

Plinker
    Rating - 60%
    3   2   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    You do not have to put any special markings on your receiver. I checked with ATF before I built mine. I did not put any special marking on it and they approved it.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    You do not have to put any special markings on your receiver. I checked with ATF before I built mine. I did not put any special marking on it and they approved it.

This is incorrect.

Per the NFA Handbook

http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5320-8/atf-p-5320-8-chapter-6.pdf

6.2.1 Description of firearm. If an existing firearm or firearm receiver is being used, the name and
    location of the original manufacturer of the weapon should be entered in Block 4(a). If the applicant is
    making a completely new firearm, the applicant’s name and location should be entered in Block 4(a).
    The type of firearm being made, i.e., short barrel rifle, short barrel shotgun, any other weapon, silencer
    or destructive device, is to be entered in Block 4(b). The caliber or gauge of the firearm is to be entered
    in Block 4(c). If a model designation has been assigned to the firearm, that designation is to be placed in
    Block 4(d). If the weapon has no model designation, enter “none” in Block 4(d). The length of the
    barrel is to be entered, in inches, in Block 4(e) and the overall length of the firearm is to be entered, in
    inches, in Block 4(f).
    All NFA firearms must be identified by a serial number and other specified markings95. If an existing
    firearm is being used in the making of the NFA weapon, and that firearm is serialized, the existing serial
    number should be used (unless it duplicates a serial number already used by the maker on Form 1) and
    entered in Block 4(g). If the weapon is of new manufacture, the applicant must assign a unique serial
    number and enter it in Block 4(g). For example, a unique serial number could be composed of at least 4
    digits preceded by the initials of the maker. NOTE: alpha characters, e.g., a name, will not be accepted
    as a serial number. If a name is to be used, there must be at least one numeric character in addition to
    the alpha characters.
    The serial number must be engraved or stamped on the receiver of the firearm and the caliber, model,
    and identification of the maker must be engraved on the barrel or frame or receiver of the weapon.96 The
    marking and identification requirements for a maker are the same as for a manufacturer. Refer to
    section 7.4 for a detailed discussion of the requirements

http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5320-8/atf-p-5320-8-chapter-7.pdf

7.4.2 Additional information. Certain additional information must also be conspicuously placed on
    the frame, receiver, or barrel of the firearm by engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), that is, they
    must be placed in such a manner that they are wholly unobstructed from plain view. For firearms
    manufactured on or after January 30, 2002, this information must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch.
    The additional information includes:

(1) The model, if such designation has been made;
    (2) The caliber or gauge;
    (3) The manufacturer’s name (or recognized abbreviation); and
    (4) The city and State (or recognized abbreviation) where the manufacturer maintains its place
    of business.122

By Submitting a Form 1 you are the Manufacturer of the firearm and your info must be engraved on the receiver or barrel

mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    giving scriswell the benefit of the doubt i think he is referring to 4h where it says some thing about other marks or description.... it is not necessary to fill out that one out or add other markings:twocents:

believe it or not i was told by the c3 dealer in my area that i had to fill that space out and add additional engraving to my sbr... and mentioned nothing to me about having to engrave my maker info on the gun .... amazing huh i wonder how many people actually did this
    and are non the wiser

I did more research and found out he was wrong luckly before i engraved and sent my forms... i only did the required maker info which sp3worker did for me.

after that i will never do any c3 business with that dealer..... instead i found ssnfa :rockwoot:

Last edited:

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Thanks guys.... I wasnt sure how it would effect the hard anodizing, but that makes sense.

I wish I could just run it in my CNC mill with a c'drill. We put some pretty small and intricate logos on parts for customers this way. And hold a .005" depth max. on them too. Shop is very anti personal govt work, especially using the larger machines and programming time.....

Oh well, as soon as I figure out the trust route Ill get them engraved.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    A center drill, huh never tried that. I use a 1/32" ball nose endmill to do my engraving.

Yeah, they just started doing that last year, very high speed, usually a #2 or #3 at like 3600rpm IIRC.... I can double check the program next week.

Reason was that some of the logos were really detailed and was taking a few extra minutes using the EMs, so..... you know timesaver.

Top Bottom