• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I'm pretty sure that is not correct. If the short barrel is not installed on a complete weapon it does not fit into the definition of an SBR therefore each piece doesn't need to be engraved.

You're right that the barrel doesn't fit into the definition of an SBR if it's uninstalled, but your complete SBR MUST be engraved. You have to engrave somewhere on the frame, receiver or barrel. The point made was simply that if you engrave on the barrel and not the receiver, if you switch to a different short upper, you now have a complete SBR that is not engraved. If you want to keep the engraving off the receiver, and you rotate through more than one short upper, you must engrave each barrel.

Thunder219

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    when you submit your form don't you have to give length and caliber? wouldn't that mean you would always have to have an upper with the same specs? if you ingraved the barrel could you use it on any lower?

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    when you submit your form don't you have to give length and caliber? wouldn't that mean you would always have to have an upper with the same specs? if you ingraved the barrel could you use it on any lower?

First question:
    Yes, when you submit a Form 1 you put down a specific caliber, specific barrel length and specific overall length.

Second Question:
    No, you don't have to always have an upper with those specs. When you submit your form, it is basically a snapshot of what the gun will be when you initially assemble it. Once you have an approved stamp in hand, you are free to change calibers and lengths at will. Longer, shorter, bigger caliber, smaller, it's your choice. If at some point you no longer possess the parts to return the rifle to it's original configuration, the ATF REQUESTS that you notify them in writing of the new configuration. It's NOT required however. ATF does not have the regulatory authority to require this. It's merely a recommendation. Furthermore, at this point, with the lack of ATF manpower, it would be a LONG time before your info gets updated anyways.

Third question:
    Yes, if you engrave on your barrel, you are free to use it on any other upper. It's merely your name (or trust name) and city, state. There is nothing about that engraving that is NFA magic. It's required for a maker of NFA firearms to engrave their name, but it is not forbidden for anyone to engrave anything they want on any gun.

Again to reiterate my previous post, if you engrave your barrel and choose to change uppers at some point, you will have to engrave the next barrel as well. Just get the lower engraved and be done with it. Lowers are a dime-a-dozen these days and have very little resale value, especially as home-made SBR's. If you want inconspicuous engraving, send it to Ident Marking and have them engrave inside the trigger guard. Pretty much won't notice it if you don't know it's there already.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    If you want inconspicuous engraving, send it to Ident Marking and have them engrave inside the trigger guard. Pretty much won't notice it if you don't know it's there already.

This is kind of the reason I started this thread. Because with the Gen 2 Noveske Lowers and some of the new billet lowers that are being made with the built in trigger guard, engraving them inside the trigger guard is no longer possible.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    So. . . . how about the front of the magwell? That's what I would suggest as the next most "hidden" place.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    So. . . . how about the front of the magwell? That's what I would suggest as the next most "hidden" place.

Well, that might be my only option. Ident said they could do the bottom of the trigger guard which would be a great location, except the Noveske Gen 2 blems will have the Noveske Chainsaw logo there. :facepalm:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    What about the inside lip of the flared magwell?

Its view would be unobstructed and in plain view, but would be hidden when a magazine was inserted. I just don't know if Ident can engrave there.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    What about the inside lip of the flared magwell?

I guess the general rule is you have to be able to read it easily without disassembling any part of the rifle. And the good ole ATF considers dropping the mag "disassembly" :rolleyes:

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I wonder if the sides of the trigger guard would be big enough for the letters to fit on both sides :dunno:

Hmmm...

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Looks to me like there's room on the bottom of the trigger guard!:dunno:

553e2e66.jpg

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    just depends if it'll all fit there. That's not a ton of room and "Indianapolis, IN" takes up a bit of real estate.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Why are you so concerned about its location? You know you are going to fill it all in with nail polish eventually anyway.

:laugh:

Top Bottom