• ...and so much more!
  • OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Does the engraving have to be in the open?

For example, could I have a lower engraved here:
    6881653849_5f2e86ee6b_z.jpg

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Does the engraving have to be in the open?

For example, could I have a lower engraved here:

not sure you could get all the needed information on there? Don't the letters have to be a min height/width in order for it to be "legal"?

-J-

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    not sure you could get all the needed information on there? Don't the letters have to be a min height/width in order for it to be "legal"?

-J-
    I have two sides.

No. If you engrave it, it has to be visible.

Well there goes that idea.

I have some now that I have under the trigger guard. But with this type of lower I wanted to put it in a place where you wouldn't notice it. That was really my only good guess on where I could put it.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I keep going over the rules and the lower is the most popular place but the definition is a bit vague. If you think about how an H&K trigger pack works & how you could move a registered trigger pack on & off a host SBR gun it'll make more sense. From what I've read you could engrave the barrel or other easily visible location. There's also an "out" from having it engraved at all but you would need to send a letter to ATF about it. I can dig that ATF guideline up if you want...

mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    actually by the rules the barrel is an ok location but then you would have to engrave every upper you planned to use with that lower

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I keep going over the rules and the lower is the most popular place but the definition is a bit vague. If you think about how an H&K trigger pack works & how you could move a registered trigger pack on & off a host SBR gun it'll make more sense. From what I've read you could engrave the barrel or other easily visible location. There's also an "out" from having it engraved at all but you would need to send a letter to ATF about it. I can dig that ATF guideline up if you want...

I don't think there is an out from having it engraved. I would be interested in anything you have that says otherwise.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Here's a link to the ATF guideline:
    Electronic Code of Federal Regulations:

Where to put the engraving:
    2) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed), or placed on the frame, receiver, or barrel thereof certain additional information. This information must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered or removed.

The part that gives you an "out" is here:
    (c) The Director may authorize other means of identification upon receipt of a letter application from you, submitted in duplicate, showing that such other identification is reasonable and will not hinder the effective administration of this part.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    The way that reads, it sounds like there would be no problem with putting it there. It says nothing about being covered up, only that it cannot be removed.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Here's a link to the ATF guideline:
    Electronic Code of Federal Regulations:

2) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed), or placed on the frame, receiver, or barrel thereof certain additional information. This information must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered or removed.

The part that gives you an "out" is here:
    (c) The Director may authorize other means of identification upon receipt of a letter application from you, submitted in duplicate, showing that such other identification is reasonable and will not hinder the effective administration of this part.

B. Todd Jones? I imagine the wait for that is a doozy. I.E. All requests are put in file 13. I wonder what constitutes as exceptions or previous approvals. Anyone know anyone who has ever been approved?

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    actually by the rules the barrel is an ok location but then you would have to engrave every upper you planned to use with that lower

I'm pretty sure that is not correct. If the short barrel is not installed on a complete weapon it does not fit into the definition of an SBR therefore each piece doesn't need to be engraved.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    So... Based on that wording, why can't I put it where the grip screws on to?

I think ATF gets upset if you try to conceal the s/n or other required markings. There was some nastiness by ATF about this issue & a suppressor having it's info covered up somewhere. I don't want to dig that one up right now (shh.. supposed to be working). :cool:

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    It might be worth contacting the BATFE. I'll let you know what I find out whenever they get back to me

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    So... Based on that wording, why can't I put it where the grip screws on to?

I would say "conspicuously" would be the key word. I don't think having to remove a part to show the engraving wouldn't constitute being conspicuous.

But I do like that idea!

Top Bottom