• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Bushcookie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    Eaton IN.
    Hey out there, anyone hear this one? It seems there is a bill in the works, SB 304. In short, it reads like this. It would mandate indivuals to take a safety course before purchasing a firearm. This course would be administered by the State Police. This sounds like a mess in the works! Might want to call on your state rep.:patriot:

nahfuten

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Zionsville
    I think this bill will die. We are lucky to live in a state where our elected officials are on our side for the most part (concerning guns, at least)

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    If it hasn't already been passed by either the house or the Senate, it's dead for this session. Did anyone else spot the loophole big enough to drive a truck through?
    And what's up with section 4?

floatch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    If it hasn't already been passed by either the house or the Senate, it's dead for this session. Did anyone else spot the loophole big enough to drive a truck through?
    And what's up with section 4?

That's where they write in the emergency section regarding zombies that want to buy a handgun.
    Their brains may not be able to handle a pre-purchase handgun safety course, so if the situation ever arises, it'll be written in here, in section 4.

:dunno:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US

Which one? I liked the part where it specifies that the class must be free of charge, held at least once a week "in all geographic areas of the state," and "may not require any skills or knowledge testing in the use of a firearm in order to complete the course successfully." :rolleyes:

The State Police allegedly don't have the time/manpower/budget to conduct nationwide background checks in the course of issuing an LTCH, but theyr'e going to be able to put on classes on a weekly basis, all over the state, for free? Riiiight. :n00b:

The whole thing reads like a bad joke to me.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    What, exactly, is the point of that Bill?

Essentially, if your job requires you to carry a handgun (or at least be familiar with them), you've already taken some form of training, or you hold a LTCH, you're exempted from the training requirement.

Also per the Bill, the training offered by the State Police can't be more than two hours long and requires no skills or knowledge testing at the end of it to complete the course successfully... so what is actually taught in the safety course that is only two hours long? And what is the point of taking it if there's no test to ensure comprehension? Even the NRA Basic Pistol course had an open-book, cooperative-learning test at the end.

Section 4 .. what? /me blinks

So, I'm thinking
    A) This Bill was a time-waster.
    B) It was put in as a way to get more states to allow reciprocity with our license by showing Indiana has a training requirement, albeit superficial at best.
    C) It was a foot-in-the-door type Bill that would allow for changes later to make the training requirement more strict.

I choose door # 3, Bill.

Last edited:

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    I just was reading about this in a farm magazine and thought it to be interesting. Sorry you think it to be weird, it is my first post and probably my last! :draw:
    Eh, don't get upset over what someone on the internet posts. Typically, we're all pretty good dudes and dudettes, you just gotta hang out on the boards with us more. Oh, and welcome to INGO!:ingo:

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    I just was reading about this in a farm magazine and thought it to be interesting. Sorry you think it to be weird, it is my first post and probably my last! :draw:

I wasn't trying to affend anyone. Most people introduce themselves or ask for advice in their early posts. Stick around a while, most members on this site are allright.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom