• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Or V-ger, as many Trek fans know it. It's almost out of the solar system and headed to the center of the galaxy. Should get there in a million years or so. The cool thing is that the antique space craft is still transmitting data back to Earth, after all these years. Man, they sure built them to last. +1 for nuke powered space craft!

BBC News - Voyager near Solar System's edge

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Or V-ger, as many Trek fans know it. It's almost out of the solar system and headed to the center of the galaxy. Should get there in a million years or so. The cool thing is that the antique space craft is still transmitting data back to Earth, after all these years. Man, they sure built them to last. +1 for nuke powered space craft!

BBC News - Voyager near Solar System's edge

It's because we did not use any "made in china crap" in that rig! :D

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Who thought the gold disk was a good idea?

Corrosion resistance: Gold is one of the most corrosion resistant materials on the planet. It ensures it's inscription will last. Plus space homies will jack it for it's gold... :D If I remember right, the disc inside (a record actually) is gold as well.

Wasn't Voyager designed to be one of the most self sufficient craft made? Nuclear powered, very simple and easy electronics, etc... (I read Cosmos by Carl Sagan about 100 times when I was a kid, really opened up my mind to the universe).

Note to forum: If anyone has a copy of Carl Sagan's Cosmos gathering dust, please PM me! :D

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I wasn't question the material used (though good info on gold)....I mean who gave them a map!? :)

I guess to show aliens where we were, or at least where to tune THEIR radio telescopes to for exact location on our radio emissions.

But don't worry, no fears of aliens, to quote Ham Tyler from the TV show V: "We got this new kind of ammo, cuts the lizards in half..." :D

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I guess to show aliens where we were, or at least where to tune THEIR radio telescopes to for exact location on our radio emissions.

But don't worry, no fears of aliens, to quote Ham Tyler from the TV show V: "We got this new kind of ammo, cuts the lizards in half..." :D

But if that is the .700 Nitro Express from the other thread, I'm not sure I'm interested. :):

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom