• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Is it legal to saw off a shotgun barrel as long as you don't saw it beyond a legal length, or is it not legal.

If I understand correctly, it is ILLEGAL for you as an average Joe to saw off a shotgun, regardless of the length, unless you are a gunsmith.

That said, I've heard numerous tales of people doing just that, and not having a problem. Seems they just don't admit that THEY were the ones that made the modifications. "It was like that when I bought it...":dunno:

If you do have it cut down, or do it yourself, make SURE you leave enough barrel to make up for a LE officer's measuring device that may not be accurate.

I've always heard cut it to no less than 18-1/4", or even slightly longer. If you run into a LE with a tape that is out of scale by 1/2", you'll be going to the gray-bar motel!

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Sure, as has been posted watch the barrel length and you also have to watch the OAL. (26") If it was an option I think I'd rather buy another barrel an keep that one as is.

Here's code:

IC 35-47-5-4.1
    Sawed-off shotgun
    Sec. 4.1. (a) A person who:
    (1) manufactures;
    (2) causes to be manufactured;
    (3) imports into Indiana;
    (4) keeps for sale;
    (5) offers or exposes for sale; or
    (6) gives, lends, or possesses;
    any sawed-off shotgun commits dealing in a sawed-off shotgun, a Class D felony.
    (b) The presence of a weapon referred to in subsection (a) in a motor vehicle (as defined under IC 9-13-2-105(a)) except for school buses and a vehicle operated in the transportation of passengers by a common carrier (as defined in IC 8-2.1-17-4) creates an inference that the weapon is in the possession of the persons occupying the motor vehicle. However, the inference does not apply to all the persons occupying the motor vehicle if the weapon is found upon, or under the control of, one (1) of the occupants. In addition, the inference does not apply to a duly licensed driver of a motor vehicle for hire who finds the weapon in the licensed driver's motor vehicle in the proper pursuit of the licensed driver's trade.
    (c) This section does not apply to a law enforcement officer who is acting in the course of the officer's official duties or to a person who manufactures or imports for sale or sells a sawed-off shotgun to a law enforcement agency.
    As added by P.L.1-1990, SEC.351. Amended by P.L.2-1991, SEC.107.

Here's the def:
    IC 35-47-1-10
    "Sawed-off shotgun"
    Sec. 10. "Sawed-off shotgun" means:
    (1) a shotgun having one (1) or more barrels less than eighteen (18) inches in length; and
    (2) any weapon made from a shotgun (whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise) if the weapon as modified has an overall length of less than twenty-six (26) inches.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

There is no prohibition about doing it yourself.

Last edited:

SAMSON

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Indy, Southside
    Make sure that you measure the barrel correctly. Legal barrel length is measured from the front of the bolt face(In battery position) to the end of the barrel or in doubles it's from the breach face forward. Best way to measure for length is to use a dowel rod down the barrel and mark a line on the dowel flush with the muzzle. Pull it out and measure from the end to the mark. Make sure the firing pin is not protruding from the bolt or breachface. Best advice I can offer is keep length to 19" minimum, that way there's no argument over that fraction of an inch.

Last edited:

hickuleas

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    deep in the woods
    Be carefull with shotgun barrel length. I remember hearing about someone in Ruby Ridge area that had problems with a supposedly shorter than legal barrel. The advice to just buy another sounds good to me.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Yes, as long as the BBL stays 18.0" or longer and the OAL stays 26" or longer... You can hack your barrel to your heart's content.

Ever wonder why so many aftermarket barrels are 18.5"? That's the safety factor...

-J-

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    371   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    As coach guns have gotten more popular, I have started to see a LOT of old, worn stoegers, savages, etc. at gun shows which were cut to 19" as a re-use.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I've had 2 barrel's cut down for home defense shotguns for my wife and I. The first gun, I had the factory barrel cut down and I didn't mind because that's why I purchased the gun in the first place. The second gun, I purchased a used barrel and had that one cut down so I could keep my original barrel intact (that gun now has a 28" smoothbore, a 24" rifled slug, and the 18.5" home defense barrel...which stays on it except when I am out hunting with it). My gunsmith did the work on both of them for $25 each...I then had him install a Meprolight front night sight on each home defense barrel to make night shooting more effective.

Top Bottom