• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    That's VERY odd for this part of the country, sure it wasn't a weasel or a fisher? either would be just as odd here I guess, maybe an otter in disguise? I've seen more Mt Lions in IN than any of the weasel/mink type critters and the DNR won't even admit they exist.

ETA: I'm not doubting you, merely commenting on the rarity of what you saw!

mjpell

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Mooresville
    That's VERY odd for this part of the country, sure it wasn't a weasel or a fisher? either would be just as odd here I guess, maybe an otter in disguise? I've seen more Mt Lions in IN than any of the weasel/mink type critters and the DNR won't even admit they exist.

ETA: I'm not doubting you, merely commenting on the rarity of what you saw!

Well, I didn't even know what a 'fisher' was till I looked up just now.

Fisher (animal) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And here's an otter:
    Weasel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Based upon the 3 links above, I'm pretty sure it was a mink. Even the size description was accurate. It was pure black, and matches the description given in the first link above.

I agree, I've never seen one before either.

As for mountain lions, there's supposedly some around the Bedford area on some property I get to enjoy on occasion. He suggested to always carry a firearm.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    There are Mt Lions in brown county. As a teen I had one jump out of the hay loft in my grandpas barn right over the top of my head and off into the woods at about 40mph! Really put the fear into me! I got on my three wheeler and tried to chase it down (really stupid) but couldn't find a trace.

trimman83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Warren Park
    I've seen mink several times, along a creek while deer hunting from a stand, near Trafalgar. I saw one a few months back along a creek in Shelby County. Not very often I see one, so always a nice surprise.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I've seen mink dozens of times. long tail weasels..........half dozen.

My cousin and buddy both call a mink in a leghold trap a table-saw blade at max RPM ;)

Intense critters!

Hunting rabbits yrs ago by a friend's pond, heard growling and thrashing. Thin ice, but decent muskrat house out in the middle. BIG MINK on top tearing the heck out of the place. Watched him for 5 minutes and left him to his rampage. He never even knew we were there. That dude was ate up, going after those muskrats. Pretty comical.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I trapped alot in the 70's an usually caught at least one mink a yr, always a big male. I even shot one with my AR, mangled up the front leg but still got full price, around 35.00 back then. While canoeing the Eel river several yrs. ago we drifted towards the bank where we saw a big mink running...he almost jumped into the canoe! Haven't seen a live weasel yet, but a friend has caught them an his brother a few yrs. ago found a dead one in white coat, they calls them ermine then. Mink like to stay near water but have seen them while deer hunting several hundred yards away from any water or creek.

jath08

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Greencastle, IN
    There are Mt Lions in brown county. As a teen I had one jump out of the hay loft in my grandpas barn right over the top of my head and off into the woods at about 40mph! Really put the fear into me! I got on my three wheeler and tried to chase it down (really stupid) but couldn't find a trace.

Definately Mt Lions /cougars in Owen Putnam State Forest. Seen the tracks and had a CO confirm that they are down there.

As for minks I live out at Heritage Lake neer Greencastle IN and seen one last winter on a couple different occasions crossing the road back and forth to the lake. He eventually didnt make it back across one day.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Definately Mt Lions /cougars in Owen Putnam State Forest. Seen the tracks and had a CO confirm that they are down there.

As for minks I live out at Heritage Lake neer Greencastle IN and seen one last winter on a couple different occasions crossing the road back and forth to the lake. He eventually didnt make it back across one day.
    I suspect she was watching me licking her chops the whole afternoon.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    We have atleast one mink that lives on our property. I tried to get pictures of him last Tuesday but the camera on my phone was giving me trouble.

trapperDave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Morristown, IN
    ROFLMAO

Indiana has lots of mink. they arent a high density critter, but theyre alive and well and thriving in the hoosier state. always have been.

fishers do not inhabit Indiana. weasles are a rarity

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    ROFLMAO

Indiana has lots of mink. they arent a high density critter, but theyre alive and well and thriving in the hoosier state. always have been.

fishers do not inhabit Indiana. weasles are a rarity
    I had never heard of mink or fisher in IN but have certainly seen weasel/ermine. Now when you get up into the area I hunt in northern MN, you will find all of the above in abundance. There will often be a pair of weasel/ermine playing around my feet pestering me all day long as I sit at my deer stand. They're really funny to watch.

Top Bottom