• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rocketscience

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    looking to buy a .308 savage/stevens. some say buy the savage, some say buy the stevens and get an aftermarket trigger new barrel lug and have it gunsmithed. headspace, boltface ect. any thoughts? :patriot:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    i can do all the gunsmithing on it for you....
    the stevens trigger is fine for a hunting rifle, and can be filed down to make a pretty nice trigger, for cheaper than the 75 dollar aftermarket trigger....
    stevens is the EXACT same thing as a savage... box even says savage on it....
    what is the purpose of the rifle?
    here in a week or two i will be posting on this EXACT thing, taking the user from start to finish on a custom stevens build in .458 socom including new barrel, recoil lug, bolt handle, barrel, trigger, stock.... even glass bedded the action... just some painting to do then i am done....

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    i can do all the gunsmithing on it for you....
    the stevens trigger is fine for a hunting rifle, and can be filed down to make a pretty nice trigger, for cheaper than the 75 dollar aftermarket trigger....
    stevens is the EXACT same thing as a savage... box even says savage on it....
    what is the purpose of the rifle?
    here in a week or two i will be posting on this EXACT thing, taking the user from start to finish on a custom stevens build in .458 socom including new barrel, recoil lug, bolt handle, barrel, trigger, stock.... even glass bedded the action... just some painting to do then i am done....
    Here's the link to Savage Arms Welcome to Savage Arms

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    On recent production, there is very little difference in fit and finish on the parts that matter.

If you're not an Accutrigger fan, or not in love with the stock on the Savage - I'd get the Stevens.

Either action should have a bit of stoning and/or polishing to make the action smooth and fast. I prefer to break all the edges on the action, inside and out - as some are as sharp as a razor as delivered.

I put together a SOCOM yesterday, using a recent Savage - a Cabela's laminated stock "special run".

The front receiver ring took .004" to clean up, a light cut (less than .001) across the bolt face and front of the lugs, a light lapping of the bolt head to the receiver (lugs were within .0005" of each other). Just a bit of fitting left to correct primary extraction, polish the striker assembly and interior of the bolt and it'll be ready to hunt.

If you're going to buy a donor rifle, buy something in a popular caliber - typically the take off barrels will go for $75-100+ depending on the flavor.

The recent production centerfeed actions are the way to go in my opinion - they ALL seem to feed better than the older rifles.

rocketscience

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    gun would shot at the local 300yd range, have a sometime place to shoot 700+. just wanting a larger than i currently have caliber with a newer bolt action. not a large fan of the factory stock and will upgrade that at a later date. wanting to get the mechanics and scope in order first. more along the lines of a utility than a high end target.

Top Bottom