• ...and so much more!
  • BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!

Thursday, Jan 21 2010 6AM 2°C 9AM 3°C 5-Day Forecast

Saudi girl, 13, sentenced to 90 lashes after she took a mobile phone to school

By Mail Foreign Service

Last updated at 12:45 AM on 21st January 2010
    A 13-year-old Saudi schoolgirl is to be given 90 lashes in front of her classmates after she was caught with a mobile camera phone.
    The girl, who has not been named, was also sentenced to two months in jail by a court in the eastern city of Jubail.
    She had assaulted her headmistress after being caught with the gadget which is banned in girl schools, said Al-Watan, a Saudi newspaper. The kingdom's use of such punishments has been widely condemned by human rights organisations.

article-1244689-0032DB7A00000258-34_468x312.jpg

Brutal: public floggings, such as in this archive picture, are a common punishment handed down by religious courts in Saudi Arabia

Three years ago 16 schoolchildren, aged between 12 and 18, were each sentenced to between 300 and 500 lashes for being aggressive to a teacher.
    Under Saudi's Sharia or Islamic law, flogging is mandatory for a number of moral offences such as adultery or being alone in the company of an unrelated person of the opposite sex. But it can also be used at the discretion of judges as an alternative or in addition to other punishments.

Al-Watan said a court in the northeastern Gulf port of Jubail had sentenced the girl to 90 lashes inside her school, followed by two months' detention.

The punishment is harsher than tha dished out to some robbers and looters.

Saudi Arabia, a leading US ally in the Middle East, is an absolute monarchy controlled by the Al-Saud ruling tribe, and lacks any legal code.

article-1244689-021DAE07000004B0-960_233x312.jpg

Absolute monarchy: King Abdullah, ruler of the oil-rich state, meeting Gordon Brown on a 2007 visit to Downing Street

King Abdullah has promoted some social reforms since taking the throne in 2005 but diplomats say he is held back by religious clerics and princes.

Cinemas and music concerts are banned, while many restaurants and even some shopping centres cater to families only, especially on holidays.

Religious police roam streets to make sure no unrelated men and women mix.

The Saudi court system is exclusively controlled Wahahbi/Salafi clerics, and bans the employment of non-Salafi citizens, especially as judges.

Saudi Arabia is the world's leading country in the use of torture-by-flogging, public beheadings and publically crucifying condemned prisoners.

The country crucified two people in 2009, including one in the capital Riyadh during President Barak Obama’s visit last April.

In September, 20 Saudi teenagers who ransacked shops and restaurants were publicly flogged.

Newspapers reported that the teenagers received at least 30 lashes each in a public square.
    Most of the hijackers in the September 11 attacks in 2001 came from Saudi Arabia.

So if they lack legal code are they tried based solely upon morality then?

I think our justice system is flawed, but theirs is disturbing.
    What I question is how is it people allow themselves to live under such oppressive regimes?

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    Hmmm...being flogged for having a cell phone at school is a over the top. but..."In September, 20 Saudi teenagers who ransacked shops and restaurants were publicly flogged." flog the chit out of em! we should have this sort fo punishment for certain crimes commited here in the states...just sayin:dunno:

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    Hmmm...being flogged for having a cell phone at school is a over the top. but..."In September, 20 Saudi teenagers who ransacked shops and restaurants were publicly flogged." flog the chit out of em! we should have this sort fo punishment for certain crimes commited here in the states...just sayin:dunno:

Public humiliation is OK with me. Have them stand around holding signs saying how big of a ******* they are for what they did.
    Flogging though would have to fit the crime.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    Public humiliation is OK with me. Have them stand around holding signs saying how big of a ******* they are for what they did.
    Flogging though would have to fit the crime.

agreed! a few months ago I seen at a rural king there was a kid sitting out front holding a sign that said "I stole from this store. ask me about it" I thought it was a great punishment! and I bet he will think twice about lifting anything again.

HK45Mark23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Newburgh
    I agree that public flogging in the US could stop alot of problems. It would only take a few in each town for people to get the point. If you saw your friend flogged, or it happened to you, you would think alittle more clearly about right and wrong.

HK45Mark23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Newburgh
    agreed! a few months ago I seen at a rural king there was a kid sitting out front holding a sign that said "I stole from this store. ask me about it" I thought it was a great punishment! and I bet he will think twice about lifting anything again.

Holding a sign is not nearly as good as a getting a public whipping, especially if it is conducted in front of the store you stole from, or in your town square as public entertainment.

It takes harsh punishment to detour crime and criminal behavior.

You can’t feel sorry for the criminal! You can’t place yourself in their shoes and feel sympathy. You can’t say Boohoo that was so awful!

You have to say, “I am never going to do anything that could lead to me experiencing that!”

Only public executions, floggings and breaking out the ole stocks can detour criminals from committing crimes.

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    Hey guys, I just wanted to remind you commies that we live in the United States, not Saudi Arabia. You may want to look into an old document called the Bill of Rights. It's the first ten amendments to the United State's Constitution, for those of you condoning public floggings in the US, who aren't aware of this document.

For those of you seeking harsher punishment for crimes, it's called jail, and although I've never been there, I don't hear good things about it.

Amendment VIII
    Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    "It's only kinky the first time you do it..."

Lash, I think the above posters are wishing the idea of public flogging, not openly advocating it for general use.

Someone above mentioned seeing a person in front of a store with a sign announcing they they had stole from the business. In some quarters this was debated strongly as to whether or not it constituted cruel and unusual punishment or not. With the limited (IMO) use of a judicial punishment like a sign hung around the neck, I do not see public flogging coming into use in the US anytime soon.

I was in Hong Kong the week after that kid, Michael something-or-other, was caned for spray painting cars and other vandalism. I remember well the anger and hand wringing that accompanied his punishment. Funny thing is, I haven't heard anything about the kid since he was caned and sent back to the US. I am not advocating widespread use of flogging, just pointing out that in that particular case that it seems to have worked very well.

BTW, I ain't no commie.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Hey guys, I just wanted to remind you commies that we live in the United States, not Saudi Arabia. You may want to look into an old document called the Bill of Rights. It's the first ten amendments to the United State's Constitution, for those of you condoning public floggings in the US, who aren't aware of this document.

For those of you seeking harsher punishment for crimes, it's called jail, and although I've never been there, I don't hear good things about it.

Amendment VIII
    Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

Actually Flogging was used as a punishment in the United States up until 1947.

Collecting Delaware Books - Red Hannah - Delaware Whipping Post

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN

Amendment VIII

Yeah..we all know how well putting someone in jail works! you NEVER hear of anyone who has been to jail commiting a crime after they have been released from jail.

now if youll excuse me I'm going to go rub one out to my poster of Stalin.

Bastispah

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Morristown IN

yep! i agree totally. more floggings , less jail time. im sick of my tax dollar being paid for some criminal to sit on his a$$ in jail while i have to get up and go to work everyday. The punishishment must be "cruel and unusual" to deter criminal.i don't advocate this for cell phone use, but actual felonys.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    So if they lack legal code are they tried based solely upon morality then?

I think our justice system is flawed, but theirs is disturbing.
    What I question is how is it people allow themselves to live under such oppressive regimes?

And how we can continue to be friendly with these types of governments...how is this different than the way Iran treats its people?
    They obviously don't care to accelerate the morality of man kind...they are perfectly comfortable being quite barbaric....just as it seems many posters on this thread appear to promote.

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

Amendment VIII

First off, one is not a "commie" because s/he recognizes that harsh punishment for crimes committed serves as an effective deterrent.Second, as was pointed out, until about sixty years ago, flogging was a punishment used here in the US. Third, as you may have noticed, I've heard of the Bill of Rights and I support it-all of it. Fourth, sure, there is "jail"... ever heard of a little thing called a "recidivism rate"? Look it up. There are some who view having been to jail as a badge of honor.

Last, if a punishment is in common use, it is not, by definition, unusual, and to lock someone in a cell for a period of years could also be called "cruel".

It's all about stopping the crimes. For those who choose to criminally and violently disregard the rights of others, reminding them that actions have consequences in a free society is not a bad idea.

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom