• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Thinking about building a 500gr load for my 458 socom for white tail hunting. Is or has anyone else done this?

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I would love to have a 458 upper but I don't. And so far have not been able to justify the expenditure since I already have a .44 Lever that works just fine. Love to hear how it works out for you.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I shoot the 300-325 gr. pills for fun in my SOCOM. After dropping two deer with the 325 FTX, I can't see going heavier. The damage from the FTX was so impressive, one of the guys hunting with me went out and bought a SOCOM. I love the round. I have a mid length AR, and had a Savage short action rebarreled to bust deer with. Might do some hog hunting one of these days..... My rule when it comes to the SOCOM... Don't think about it, just go on impulse and do it!

djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    What is your twist rate? That big bullet is way overkill for deer but I've used a 450 grain bullet on deer so I have no room to talk!

make sure your barrel can get it spinning fast enough for accuracy other than that it will be a killer combo.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    What is your twist rate? That big bullet is way overkill for deer but I've used a 450 grain bullet on deer so I have no room to talk!

make sure your barrel can get it spinning fast enough for accuracy other than that it will be a killer combo.

Looks like the tromix I got is a 1:14. At least according to a couple reviews I have read, with the 500gr slugs and imr 4198, you can expect about moa at 100 yards.

http://458socomforums.com/index.php?topic=1835.0

WilsonMD

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 31, 2014
    Crown Point
    I am planning on using the 325g FTX's for this, my first year, using the .458s for deer. I would love to try a couple other loads as well. I took it out this weekend and shot a three inch, three shot group, at just under 250 yards. I thought that was pretty cool!

djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    Looks like the tromix I got is a 1:14. At least according to a couple reviews I have read, with the 500gr slugs and imr 4198, you can expect about moa at 100 yards.

TROMIX, good things are HERE!

If you can shoot MOA at 100 yards you will not have any trouble killing a deer. Make sure you don't kill two...or four. That 500 grain slug will penetrate just about anything that gets in its way.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    If you can shoot MOA at 100 yards you will not have any trouble killing a deer. Make sure you don't kill two...or four. That 500 grain slug will penetrate just about anything that gets in its way.

That goes without saying. That is part of being a smart hunter :)

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Well my bullets showed up... Good god these things are huge o.O

IMAGE_5.jpg

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Well I finally got out to test my 32gr of h4198 under one of these 500gr pills... Holy **** this thing is heavy in the shoulder.
    Good news, with only having 12 round through my barrel, I am holding 1.5" groups. Bad news, these damned things are still expensive even when reloading... Time to try to up the velocity and tighten the group up. It is also worth noting that a good part of that 1.5" group is me not being able to pull the trigger correctly...

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Well I finally got out to test my 32gr of h4198 under one of these 500gr pills... Holy **** this thing is heavy in the shoulder.
    Good news, with only having 12 round through my barrel, I am holding 1.5" groups. Bad news, these damned things are still expensive even when reloading... Time to try to up the velocity and tighten the group up. It is also worth noting that a good part of that 1.5" group is me not being able to pull the trigger correctly...

Expensive to reload?

My 405gr cast cost me maybe $.10 8-) Stop shooting those silver bullets and the cost will drop! J/K. The .458 is a handful to shoot even out of an AR that has been built heavy.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    If I end up keeping this thing past this season (depends on how the new dnr regulations work out), I am going to start casting for it. I still have all of the left overs from when I was casting .452

Expensive to reload?

My 405gr cast cost me maybe $.10 8-) Stop shooting those silver bullets and the cost will drop! J/K. The .458 is a handful to shoot even out of an AR that has been built heavy.

Top Bottom