• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PAMom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    I just received my new pressure canner today. I got an All-American 21 qt. canner. Good price with free shipping at Cabela's. Cabela's: All American® Pressure Cooker

I have had a Presto canner for years, but always wanted one of these. No more gaskets to replace. Yeah!:):

Tomorrow, another batch of chunky applesauce.

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    Good find. I wanted to use my club points though.:)

By all means use them up. I have been looking at getting me one of the all American canners for a while as well, so believe me I have searched high and low to find the best price on them. Amazon seems to have the. The cheapest even after you factor in shipping cost. The less I pay for the canner, the more I have to pay for jars, lids, rings and other preps.

Oh, and I'm looking at getting the 30 quart model myself.

usaf64

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2012
    I have a 7 quart pressure canner I've had for probably 30 years. I just replaced the gasket a couple of years ago. The reason I stick with it is that I don't have enough tomatoes or greens to can more than about 14 quarts at a time. When I do hot peppers I use a water bath canner. I found that when using a pressure canner for peppers it cooks them too much and they get mushy.

It give me a real feeling of comfort to look at my canned goods and know I'll have food that was picked at the exact time of its best ripeness and also I know exactly what's in the jars. This year was a terrible one for tomatoes, but I had lots of greens and peppers. Probably enoug peppers for a couple of years.

PAMom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    I have a 7 quart pressure canner I've had for probably 30 years. I just replaced the gasket a couple of years ago. The reason I stick with it is that I don't have enough tomatoes or greens to can more than about 14 quarts at a time. When I do hot peppers I use a water bath canner. I found that when using a pressure canner for peppers it cooks them too much and they get mushy.

It give me a real feeling of comfort to look at my canned goods and know I'll have food that was picked at the exact time of its best ripeness and also I know exactly what's in the jars. This year was a terrible one for tomatoes, but I had lots of greens and peppers. Probably enoug peppers for a couple of years.

I can everything in my pressure canner. For items that get too soft, I simply take the canner to 5# pressure, turn off the heat , and then let cool before opening. Works great for fruit.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I like to can meat, so a pressure canner is a must have item. Tomatoes this year sucked...but got lots of peppers too....I dried about 20 lbs of Jalepeno peppers. After they and the seeds are good and dry I grind it all up to make a shake blend for soups and chili and anything you want to put it on.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon

Our tomatoes did very well this year...as did the peppers...way to many peppers...I will plant less next year...our squash all did great...our corn was beautiful until the raccoons got it, seems they know exactly when it is at its peak. Our peas did ok but not enough to even can we dried what we got and ended up with 1 quart jar of dried peas. Why to much work for the little bit of peas...never got more than a few beans and we had about 50 plants...the buds burned as soon as they bloomed according to a couple of farmers I talked to. i tell you what that pot of pea soup will taste really good this winter lol....

PAMom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    If you are not committed to new, and willing to do some research, Ebay has used ones for around $100. We got a 15.5 quart for that price.

Good Point! These canners are a lifetime investment. My MIL had one she used for many decades(not sure how many, but she had it when I married and that was 32+ years ago). Unfortunately, I did not get hers when she passed.:(

My only suggestion would be; watch the shipping carefully on these. They are heavy.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    My only suggestion would be; watch the shipping carefully on these. They are heavy.

Agreed. Thought I know the post was about eBay in particular, Amazon Prime pays for itself after a few heavy items. They will even ship a generator free under Prime (shipping can be $200 + without).

You used to be able to get a free trial and, if you purchased the right items, you could extend your free trial monthly for up to a year (ours was the "Mother & Baby" club)...not sure if they still do this.

usaf64

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2012
    I like to can meat, so a pressure canner is a must have item. Tomatoes this year sucked...but got lots of peppers too....I dried about 20 lbs of Jalepeno peppers. After they and the seeds are good and dry I grind it all up to make a shake blend for soups and chili and anything you want to put it on.

I also dry peppers. I use them in soups, stews, chili, salsa, etc. I also dry green peppers. If you put them in boiling water for a half hour they plump back up and you can also use them in the same recipes I mentioned above. My wife likes to eat them as a snack without plumping them up. She says she likes the crispness and they are really sweet.

When we canned peppers this year she bought 5 pounds of garlic. We still had the vast majority of it after we finished canning, so I dried it too. I put it in several sealable vacuum bags. I can either powder it or reconstitute it in boiling water as I need it. This is the first time we've tried it, but our book on dehydrating food says it will keep well.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I also dry peppers. I use them in soups, stews, chili, salsa, etc. I also dry green peppers. If you put them in boiling water for a half hour they plump back up and you can also use them in the same recipes I mentioned above. My wife likes to eat them as a snack without plumping them up. She says she likes the crispness and they are really sweet.

When we canned peppers this year she bought 5 pounds of garlic. We still had the vast majority of it after we finished canning, so I dried it too. I put it in several sealable vacuum bags. I can either powder it or reconstitute it in boiling water as I need it. This is the first time we've tried it, but our book on dehydrating food says it will keep well.

When the onions go on the cheap around here, I like to dry them as well. And they are tasty as snacks too! A friend of mine backpacks a lot and he will take a can or two of mixed veggies and will dry those down, mix in some dried hot peppers, and dried onions, a couple of beef boullion cubes, calls it his "Trail Vegetable Soup"....throwing in some shredded jerky when it is cooking is not a bad thing either. You can thicken it with some dried potato flakes.

Top Bottom