• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    In the last month I have been contacted by a couple members about converting their saiga's, so my question is, would there be an interest in a conversion party? This would be for shotguns and rifles.

This is to find out if there is enough interest out there so please post if you would like to attend or help.

thanks
    Dave
    :ingo:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    i might be interested but it depends on how your going to do the conversion. I plan to convert the two I have, but Im going to rivet everything, and Im thinking of going with correct ak style trigger guards on the rifle.

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    i might be interested but it depends on how your going to do the conversion. I plan to convert the two I have, but Im going to rivet everything, and Im thinking of going with correct ak style trigger guards on the rifle.

I sent you a pm

PTinbound

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    DeMotte
    I'll say tentatively yes; I don't even own own but I've been dying to get a Saiga 12. I'm a little undereducated but it's my understanding that you just can't take the $500 one and legally use the extended magazines or drums. So I'd want to to whatever it takes to make this legal. Of course, I'd have to get the shotgun first... but keep me updated!

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    I'll say tentatively yes; I don't even own own but I've been dying to get a Saiga 12. I'm a little undereducated but it's my understanding that you just can't take the $500 one and legally use the extended magazines or drums. So I'd want to to whatever it takes to make this legal. Of course, I'd have to get the shotgun first... but keep me updated!

The US made extened magazines count as three parts against the 4 part total that you need to be legal. You can ad something cheap like a 14 dollar tapco gas puck, or a US made muzzle device to stay legal.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    I would eventually like too.

I can't afford all the conversion parts right yet i have to hold off for right now.:dunno:

I have a portable/smaller drill press and dremill tool.
    When you are you talking about doing this?

I would be doing a 12 but would need some instruction on putting the darn thing back together.

Also I would like to do a rivit build but know nothing about riviting firearms... What to do?@?! I need someone to hold my hand:n00b:lol.

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Holy thread revival...I have started the process and more info should be coming soon. Please make a quick post if interested in going and watch this post for info and updates..
    Smitty

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I should have a milling machine in less than a few weeks if you guys want to do the build at my place... room wouldnt be ideal but i have all the right tools, and some of the right knowledge... and the mill might help make the conversions look a bit more proffesional...

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    I should have a milling machine in less than a few weeks if you guys want to do the build at my place... room wouldnt be ideal but i have all the right tools, and some of the right knowledge... and the mill might help make the conversions look a bit more proffesional...

That sound great, the mill should make it a lot easier and quicker to take off the rivet nipples. Right now it looks like around 10 people are interested. If we are unable to use MCFG and that is too many bodies for your place I have a guy in Westfield with a big home shop(25x40) and plenty of parking space we could use.

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    I don't know anything about Saigas, but have always wanted one :)

Can someone explain the need to convert to me? What do you gain from it? I noticed that converted ones cost several hundred more.

alan robert

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Indiana
    The basic Saiga rifle or shot gun is with standard stock (no pistol grip), trigger assembly, trigger guard, no muzzle flash hider/compensator, bullet guide, and without the capability to accept high round magazines, for starters.

This production style is to maneuver around the assault rifle restrictions and ban in the U.S.

To legally convert a imported sporter rifle into a legal semi-auto military copy of a AK rifle, compliance to reg. 922r must be met using a certain amount of US produced parts.

Such as moving the trigger guard, replacing trigger assembly (better trigger action and less trigger slap), installing bullet guide, installing pistol grip, folding stocks, and muzzle compensator to name a few.

Saigas are Russian production rifles, and are considered a good AK style of platform for conversion. A lot of custom shops use the Saiga.

The cost difference between a citizen conversion and gunsmith/custom rifle shop conversion, can be substantial.

There have been a few individuals, who have attempted the conversion with success here on INGO, saving money in parts and labor.

Good job and nice looking rifles to boot.

Good luck in your efforts. For more information, you can go to Saiga12.com.

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Is anyone interested in converting their Saga a member at MCFG? I am not and we need a member to take this request to the board. If not I think I have a place in Westfield we can use but it is a little off the beaten path but larger.

Fastmover

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Stepford...aka Fishers, IN
    Bumping an old thread. Wondered if this happened or not.
    I have a plain Jane Saiga 12 that needs some love.
    I just don't have the tools or knowledge to pull of a conversion. So any help would be great. If someone wants to help with some of the smithing, I'll supply the brewskis. :)

Top Bottom