• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Anyone have any experience with the Saiga AK rifles? I'm looking at them in .223 and .308. From what I have read, they are a good value in battle rifle. Also, any dealers in Indy area that you have seen them?

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I've been eyeing a Saiga 12. Just have to make sure if it's sitting loaded, you make sure the bolt is open. The top shell in the magazine usually deforms if pressed against the bottom of the bolt carrier causing a FT-Feed after the first round is fired.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    By sitting loaded, you are talking about long term storage in that condition?

Long term is questionable. I'd think a few days is enough to cause the top shell in the magazine to deform.

This only affects the shotgun varieties. Anything with brass would be unaffected.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    We had several Siagas come through classes in various calibers. All ran well.

I know Gabe Suarez is a big believer in the Siaga 12.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I have heard nothing but good things about Saigas and if you get one that has been converted it will be as close to a true Russian AK that you can own in the USA.

I have a Saiga 12 that is at Red Jacket Firearms being converted and I am on the list for one of the MD-20rd drums, so in about 1 1/2 months I can give a full opinion on the gun.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    the saiga 12's have been showing up at 3 gun matches and doing very well. the 7.62x39 is a fine rifle. no experience with the .223 or the .308

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Just have to make sure if it's sitting loaded, you make sure the bolt is open.

Sounds like a questionable practice to me. You'd be better off occasionally replacing the top round (see below) or leaving the mag downloaded by 1 round to take some of the pressure off.

The top shell in the magazine usually deforms if pressed against the bottom of the bolt carrier causing a FT-Feed after the first round is fired.

I have not experienced this with either of my Saiga-12s. Yes, the top round does flatten out a bit over time, but not enough to cause a failure to feed, IME. I pull the mag occasionally to check, and replace the top round if the deformation looks to be excessive (judgment call). The pulled rounds go into my "shoot" bucket, and they've all ended up feeding fine at the range. That said, some types/brands of ammo may deform faster or to a greater degree than others.

And for indyjoe: The Saiga rifles in stock form are decent sporters; I regard them as a modern alternative to an SKS, but a notch in utility below a true AK. Once you have the rifle converted into an AK pattern, however, the utility, versatility and cool factor all go WAY up.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Shooter521, as an owner of a Saiga 12, I'll take your experience over what I've read. It's also possible that some of what I had read was based on older designs. I do know they(saiga) were redesigning part of the rifle/shotgun because of the concerns I mentioned.

I'll eventually end up owning one.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I looked over a walk-through for the conversion and it doesn't seem to hard. I have a mini-mill that I haven't got time to setup, due to the new house and move.

I'm thinking that 2 of the Saiga .223 models would be a better idea for me than a single evil black rifle. Although with the "honest we aren't tracking who is buying guns, just like the law says" gun lists that I am sure are out there, it would be great to get a few in FTF sales.

I might have to head over to Brandis and check them out.

Top Bottom